PDA

View Full Version : FlashChat on PGD?

WILL
06-08-2006, 10:46 AM
What do you guys think about using something like this on PGD?

It's all web-based with Flash so that means no extra 3rd party program to install and it allows several people to chat online much like IRC.

Try the demo here: http://www.tufat.com/s_flash_chat_chatroom.htm

Robert Kosek
06-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Sure. I'd use it, I guess. I've been busy working lately, so I haven't had a chance to pop into the IRC room.

savage
06-08-2006, 02:57 PM
My main concern is that it may not have history facility. The great thing about phpBB is that you can search the archived posts to find stuff. Does this support that sort of feature.

Also Flash is a 3rd party add-in.

Due to the diverse nature of timezones, I'm not sure having it will provide that much extra to the site. I would guess that anyone who wants to chat some someone privately either use the PM fearture or use one of the IM clients ( ICQ, Messenger, Yahoo etc ).
My vote is currently Unsure, until someone provides more compelling information.

Robert Kosek
06-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Savage, it uses MySQL and I doubt that it deletes the previous comments. Doubtless there are ways to see the old chats.

WILL
06-08-2006, 06:56 PM
The bonus is the same as IRC, however with the added bonus of not having to go out of their way.

It would make Real Time Chat much more accessable, without having to download or install an IM client (not all members like the same IM services) and There is a history feature included, which --like much of the entire tool-- can be completely customized.

As far as Flash being a 3rd Party installation. Everybody who 'really surfs' the web HAS Flash. Plus we were going to add Flash content anyhow. :)

It's something that we could add and maintain --I believe-- without too many headaches. I think it warrents looking into further at this point.

But first, is there interest in this? :)

tux
06-08-2006, 09:12 PM
i thought there allready was a chat room.... that is mostly empty

WILL
24-08-2006, 06:32 AM
There is the IRC chat room, but like I've mentioned before it almost always barren. Save for the odd soul that may wander in. :o

Perhaps FlashChat would be more successful since those that access the site here would only have to click on a seperate section of the same site instead of using a seperate program(other than their web browser) to perform this type of interactivity. considering that the site will soon boast Flash anyways, this is not such a big deal as far as development goes.

K4Z
24-08-2006, 02:40 PM
I'd be up for it. If it was right on the bottom of every page or what not, it'd be good. So you could chat to people who were on the forums right then and there without having to go out of your way some place else. It would really help to strengthen our community, I would think.