View Full Version : Turbo Delphi ?

fuwa
08-08-2006, 04:29 AM
Is it the product from New DevCo ? :roll:

The link of it :

http://www.turboexplorer.com

Robert Kosek
08-08-2006, 04:55 AM
WOWSERS! Read the press release!! (http://www.turboexplorer.com/TurbosPressRelease.htm)

Snippet:
CUPERTINO, Calif. — August 8, 2006 — Today, the Developer Tools Group of Borland Software Corporation (NASDAQ: BORL) announced plans to release single language versions of Borland Developer Studio, the company’s development environment for Microsoft® Windows® and .NET applications. Bringing back the popular Turbo™ moniker, the new Borland Turbo products offer low-cost, language-specific rapid application development capabilities for students, hobbyist developers, occupational developers as well as individual professionals.

The Turbo product set includes Turbo Delphi® for Win32, Turbo Delphi for .NET®, Turbo C++® and Turbo C#®. Each version will be available in two editions: Turbo Explorer, a free downloadable version, and Turbo Professional, a version priced less than $500 which is designed to accept thousands of available third-party tools, components and plug-ins. All Turbo editions enable developers to rapidly build high performance GUI, Database, Web, and Web Services applications for Microsoft Windows. Turbo Delphi for .NET and Turbo C# support the Microsoft .NET and ASP.NET platforms. More information is available at www.turboexplorer.com.

WILL
08-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Well this is actually some pretty nice news. :)

Though I'm still bitter about the descision to throw the language name to the wind(It's Object Pascal damnit! :evil:), I can let it pass if it means that they will be offering more support for the Indie community, like this brand spaking new announcement states.

There will be a free downloadable version(I assume it's a limited or trial edition), and a Professional for less than $50 or $100. Very cool! :)

tanffn
08-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Very cool in did! :D
This might appealing to a different slice of the programming market, as not every user can pay 1,000 USD..

savage
08-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Some interesting news. Will they highjack the TurboPower brand name?

jdarling
08-08-2006, 12:54 PM
If you read the feature difference list, it looks like you can't add 3rd party controls or IDE addons into the Express version of the product. At least the price on the Pro version should be low enough that we can afford it. Now if only they would make it so that you can change the backend compiler to FPC if you wanted to, I'd be more then happy :)

Clootie
08-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Wow, finally some good news from Borland! :D

Robert Kosek
08-08-2006, 03:45 PM
3rd party additions or no, I'm still dancin' in the kitchen! For less then $500 I can get the whole compiler, rather then $1000 for the entry level with the older versions.

*cash register chime*

noeska
08-08-2006, 05:13 PM
I do not think this is a so good deal. Or at least not for those people who use both object pascal for win32 and .net . They would need to buy two licenses at $500 which is the same as delphi 2006 pro. But that one is cheaper as upgrade where it only costs $499. I will pass this one.

Besides visual studio standard for one language only costs $149 in full version. If there would be a standard version with support for building and using own components (not plugins) and costing the same as visual studio standard things would be different. (And no i do not count student versions as full versions).

dmantione
08-08-2006, 06:58 PM
I would be surprised if Delphi 2006 would go away, so you can still buy the full product if you want. IMHO the news here is that Borlands is starting to get interrest in the amateur market again, to which many people here will belong.

Clootie
08-08-2006, 09:08 PM
I suppose they have not yet decided on final price, as:
Turbo Professional, a version priced less than $500 So we still need to wait a little longer.

Robert Kosek
09-08-2006, 12:21 AM
I do not think this is a so good deal. Or at least not for those people who use both object pascal for win32 and .net . They would need to buy two licenses at $500 which is the same as delphi 2006 pro. But that one is cheaper as upgrade where it only costs $499. I will pass this one.

Besides visual studio standard for one language only costs $149 in full version. If there would be a standard version with support for building and using own components (not plugins) and costing the same as visual studio standard things would be different. (And no i do not count student versions as full versions).Sorry to be happy that for me, a person with a tiny bank account, that something Delphi might be within my reach for the first time EVER. I have had student editions, and while D6 student edition was pretty good, I couldn't make a damn cent with it any way I wanted to.

Visual Studio has no compeditor IDE/Language to Delphi/Object Pascal. 'Nuff said.

Frankly, yes, Delphi is overpriced. But Pascal is the language I like most, and Freepascal just isn't my style. Lazarus isn't either. I'm sorry to those who like them, but until they're very polished, stable and size efficient, it just isn't going to be used by me. Not even to improve it, because I lack the skillset for IDE development.

jdarling
09-08-2006, 02:27 AM
Don't forget that if you don't mind the fact that its .NET you can always go with Chrome:

Chrome 1.5 with Visual Studio - Full License
(for new users that do not own Visual Studio 2005) [Add to cart] EUR 249,-
Chrome 1.5 with Visual Studio - Competitive Upgrade
(for owners of Borland Delphi that do not own Visual Studio 2005) [Add to cart] EUR 199,-

sky_khan
09-08-2006, 03:59 AM
3rd party additions or no, I'm still dancin' in the kitchen! For less then $500 I can get the whole compiler, rather then $1000 for the entry level with the older versions.

*cash register chime*
You can get whole compiler for free (and no non-commercial restrictions)
Free version is not capable of installing design-time packages of 3rd Party libs into IDE. (You can still use them in code)

Quote from forums.borland.com / delphi.non-technical.

Roddy Pratt wrote:

> Are there any "commercial use" restrictions?

Nope. None. Get the turbo, create the next great killer app. Make
millions.

But just remember that little company that started it all. ;-)

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - DevCo
http://blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Robert Kosek
09-08-2006, 04:15 AM
You can get whole compiler for free (and no non-commercial restrictions)
Free version is not capable of installing design-time packages of 3rd Party libs into IDE. (You can still use them in code)
Thanks for popping in, Nick. :) I am aware of that aspect, but since I do use design-time components, and since I will probably like the new IDE I will probably by a copy after using the Explorer edition for awhile.

WILL
09-08-2006, 06:08 AM
Hey Nick,

It's great to have you here on PGD mixing it up with us meer game developers. :)

I, like I think most of the site regulars here, are quite excited about the new DevCo. And with this latest 'Turbo' announcement it's even more fuel to the fire. I think you'll find that Pascal programmers are usually quite passionate about their language and the tools that support it. So in this, I'm sure that the new company will have the continued support of your current user-base.

The main area that I feel has lacked unfortunately, is the indie and student side of things. But with more stuff like Turbo I can see a huge turnaround in time.

Since we've got you here though; something that has been in huge debate here on the site is education of Object Pascal in schools. What plans would the new DevCo have for helping the encouragement of this wonderful language in universities and schools across the globe? Perhaps the Turbo line will act as a catalyst to this do you think?

Other than that, keep up the good work, we here are routing for you guys! ;)

jdarling
09-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Another question that I would like to put up is, what are the plans regarding cross platform compilers? The only reason that I stoped using Delphi was its lack of cross compatability (well that and I hate the new IDE, but I have been around long enough to know how to run the compilers from the commandline).

blackvoid
07-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Now its a big question if all the 3rd party graphic engines and add-ons work with Turbo Delphi or not.

savage
07-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey Nick,

It's great to have you here on PGD mixing it up with us meer game developers. :)

just to clarify, sky_khan is not Nick. He was simply quoting what Nick had said.

WILL
07-09-2006, 06:51 PM
:? Go figure.