PDA

View Full Version : New to Pascal, and wanting to create an old-school type RPG.

Dragoneyes718
10-08-2006, 12:43 AM
I am programming with Turbo Pascal 7.0

Basically, what I need to know is how to use a .BMP or some other picture file in my program. If anyone could help by showing me some sample source code, or by just giving some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

WILL
10-08-2006, 05:41 AM
Well first, I recommend either dropping TP7 and grabbing Free Pascal (www.FreePascal.org) Lazarus (Lazarus.freepascal.org) or wait for Turbo Delphi in a months time. All are free for use and are excellent tools. :)

Then as you are a beginner, I'd also recommend starting with a game/graphics library such as UnDelphiX, Omega or JEDI-SDL. The easiest to start at the very beginning would probably be UnDelphiX (checkout the DelphiX/UnDelphiX forum for more info)

Using things like headers and raw library formats is not a very fun or progressive way to start your programming skills out on. :) But later on as you progress you'll want to move over to those instead as they will offer you much more power and control over your game engines and graphics.

Welcome to PGD and I hope you will visit often! ;)

cairnswm
10-08-2006, 06:00 AM
I have a game called Run-A-War that is released with full source. It would make a nice base to build an RPG from. Its fully free, uses completely free graphics and you are welcome to download it and try it out. (Look on my site - www.cairnsgames.co.za)

Jagged
19-08-2006, 05:04 PM
I was just browsing the FAQ at the Free Pascal site a few minutes ago, and they recommend looking at the source code for a simple little game,

http://thesheepkiller.sourceforge.net/

I haven't looked at it myself, but I believe they're reliable enough to pass this on as second hand info. :wink:

Crusare
11-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Indeed you should drop Turbo Pascal, and... get Delphi6! And - as you will need a library - download GLScene (www.glscene.org). Easy to use (and fun!), and you can make everything you wish to.

Jagged
11-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Speaking of Turbo Delphi... guess y'all know Borland has made it free to download for us enthusiasts, as Turbo Delphi Explorer. No strings attached! (Except a few fancy features not being included, mainly the ability to customize the IDE). Way to go, Borland!