PDA

View Full Version : Dealing With Difficult/Irrational People

WILL
13-08-2006, 10:03 PM
You know, having recently deal with a rather 'unprofessional' individual on the net. It's sort of reminded me of how unnecessarily childish interacting with people of this sort can become. But also it reminds you of how important it is that you remain as calm and cordial as you can as you may still make something out of the conversation despite any disagreements or conflicts you and the other may run into during your commerce.

In my recent experience, I had started in error, trying to point out an error --ironically. Yet, despite my efforts to recover and correct myself this individual was... well, somewhat colourful about his reaction. It did not help that he was talking like he was still in Secondary School of course. In fact, it really pushed me to the point of not wanting to apologise or try to sort the matter myself at all. The situation of walking away seemed more appropriate than subjecting myself to his immature behaviour.

And I think that is what happens when you don't maintain a mature and professional attitude. You sort of isolate you and label yourself as a hard person to deal with and ultimately place a bad mark on you opinions, though they are perhaps quite valid. Such a sad thing to occur really.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel and I certainly was not so during my younger years. But I guess thats how I learned these things.

Overall I guess it just comes down to respect of others dignity and ability to makes errors and be flawed as we all are. After all we are talking to and working with the same people that are talking and working with us, no?

Eriken
19-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Gotta love the internet, so many people, so little... responsibility :twisted:

I mean, you can be whatever retard across internet as you like, for the chances that you'll run into that person the next few years AND know who he is, is close to none.. Unless you both live on the north pole of course.

There are always some that just has a bad day and your "relationship" starts off on the wrong foot just because of that.. But, in the end, you can only be and control yourself so do it with style Will! I know you can ;)

What others do, and why, will probably never be figured out, they are all weird I tell you ;)
_____
Eriken

(don't ask where i've been, I don't know)

cairnswm
20-09-2006, 05:05 AM
The best way to react to difficult people on the internet is to try and maintain your own self respect. In an environment where everyone is effectivly invisible to you the only person you can answer to is yourself. Maintain your own self respect, often this means do not answer what others say.

The easiest way to do this is to withdraw in some way from the area of the internet you feel uncomfortable with.

WILL
20-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Eriken! How've ya been old man? ;)

Speaking of dificult people :lol: j/k j/k! :D

Thanks for your POVs guys, very true words.

BlueCat
21-09-2006, 01:40 AM
I find that just ignoring irrational people makes them go away.... see what you've done WILL by talking about us :wink:

(don't ask where Eriken's been, I don't want him to know)

tanffn
21-09-2006, 06:59 AM
To be honest WILL I never incurred that phenomenon on the net, although I know it exists. I believed it could only happen in chats where everyone is anonymous.

But I had my share of ‘disputes’, the bad ones manage sidetrack to a minor irrelevant issue and taken why out of proportion. The more power you invest in looking at the major problem the more the other side will persist..

Its hard to generalize but I think usually when you feel the discussion starts to become an uncontrollable argument you can call a coffee break and/or setup another meeting.

jasonf
21-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Although I've not personally experienced difficult people on the net (directed at me anyway) (I tend to reply to constructive comments and not join in flame wars), I've had a bad experience with a colleague before now.. some arguments got so overheated that they nearly came to blows... this individual has since left the company and in retrospect, I probably helped to fuel the fire of the arguments even though at the time I didn't think I had done anything wrong. It was a weird time.

That one period probably taught me more about dealing with other people than any other time of my life.

Anyone can shout and stamp their feet but people respect those who are calm in a crisis and handle themselves in a professional mannor.

As my ol' Mum used to say... If you can't say something nice, Don't say anything.