PDA

View Full Version : CGE - would you review my creation?

Chebmaster
16-08-2006, 09:47 PM
It's just at the very beginning. On the one hand, I dislike to flaunt something so incomplete. On the other hand, I am tired of planning and developing this thing in a vacuum.

Currently not even the GUI is implemented - only the basics, and the persistency system.

With the persistency system a funny thing happened. I greatly optimized it for speed, planning to use for simulating the temporal spell effects (you know, saving the game every frame into a virtual file, without any significant FPS degradation). In the end it dawned on me, that the temporal tricks I wanted to implement aren't compatible with the chosen graphical architecture (impostors + dynamically generated creature skins)... Well, at least I still can modify the code without having to restart the engine. And no any scripts.

The other application I can see is the "undo" function in the editor. If it can save the entire data structure after each action... It's an ideal undo, and for free too - no extra bugs and crashes, no overcomplexity.

Planned "wells" to support my turtle:
- 1. recompiling on the fly: Just need a bit of polish.
- 2. the persistency system: OK. Ready and tested.
- 3. the 3d model/annimation editor: Only in project
- 4. the game itself: Only in project

But I still am unsure of many things: for example, do I need to add the support of *really* old machines?.. With the architecture chosen it should be relatively easy, but still... (I am 100% sure I will *not* support Voodoo2, hovever)

Project page (overly comprehensive, with test versions and sources for downloading included):
http://chebmaster.narod.ru/cge/cge_e.html

The current version (#012) draws only a string of inter-linked dots via glBegin(GL_POINT) ..... - but it already can save and load the string, MD5 sum checking included. Each dot is an object of TTest12Data class.