PDA

View Full Version : Dependency on Lazarus RPM installation = nightmare

I_am_root
20-08-2006, 10:20 PM
- I use Mandriva 2006 Free (3 CDs).
- I have NO internet => I use my friend's computer (who uses Win32).
- I worked for 40 minutes to find RPM's dependency; a found RPM gave another dependency ;;; forty minutes of clickety-click and flip-flop (I use disquettes for transfer) and dependency-not-solved error => Nightmare;

Do you have a (1) solution? THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

JSoftware
21-08-2006, 10:26 AM
why not just hook your computer up to your friends'?

Other than that i have no solution for you

solving rpm dependencies with a floppy disk... poor soul :P

marmin
22-08-2006, 04:31 AM
Lazarus needs a lot of packages to work. On linux i don't know anything that has them all included. windows is just one installer.

WILL
22-08-2006, 05:40 AM
You know... the one installer appraoch for Linux wouldn't hurt. I know that the fanatic would start screaming haricy, but in a windows installation you can recompiler without being setup like Linux. So is it really all that important that you *have to* have only a Linux-style installation for it?

marmin
24-08-2006, 02:24 AM
There are one installer packages for Linux, Autopackage. Maybe Lazarus is a bit too beta for such a package manager. In the mean time it's a pain to install.

sekelsenmat
25-08-2006, 11:16 AM
There are one installer packages for Linux, Autopackage. Maybe Lazarus is a bit too beta for such a package manager. In the mean time it's a pain to install.

I think it´s the opposite. Autopackage is too beta for Lazarus. Please do a google search for "Autopackage Gentoo" or "Autopackage Ubuntu" without quotes, and you will find many ]http://dev.gentoo.org/~plasmaroo/devmanual/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/autopackage/[/url]

Autopackage is considered to be completely unsuitable by most (all?) major distributions.

The way to solve dependencies on linux is using a dependency solving tool. And for Mandriva Linux that tool is URPMI, you should use that.

Unfortunately that tool requires a internet connecting to be used, so I´m afraid the best thing to do is take your computer to a place with internet access and install the necessary packages there. It´s a pain, but remember you only have to do it once to get Lazarus working.

marmin
26-08-2006, 02:35 AM
Sorry I misjudged it.. i thought the aim of autopackage was to make installation easier for all Linux distro's, not more difficult.