PDA

View Full Version : 3D Architectural Vizulisation..

pixin
30-08-2006, 02:01 PM
HI im using delphi and glscene( im just a starter)..i need to create a 3d architectural project with 3dsmax and exporting to delphi for real time walktrough animation, how can i do that, can use a half life 2 engine or export tool or any thing similar,see this u will understand.
http://digitalurban.blogspot.com/2006/08/frank-lloyd-wright-architectual.html#links

jdarling
30-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Typically you will be loading DXF or DWG files for an architectural preview, so if this is for a customer make sure that they can convert from these to your format.

Second, this has been done time and time again. I've done it for a few clients, and it works really well. There are some HUGE pitfalls that you can get into, so make sure that you fully document what your client expects. As an example, one system I worked on actually rendered every layer down the the electrical system. This had major advantages (you could look through the walls and see how things would work) and dis-advantages (it could get VERY slow on low end systems).

The sample video you provided has flaws. Big flaws. The doors don't open properly, lighting is incorrect (I've been in the FLW house), and a few other minor things :). Make sure that you take care and get these things right. An Architect will pull it apart if you don't.

If this is just for you, then its quite easy to convert to a BSP map that will let you do the walk through. I think that both AutoCad and 3DSMax have exporters for BSP and there are plenty of tutorials around to load them. You might also look into the samples that are provided with GLScene. Specifically the Octree Collision one. If I remember properly it loads a 3DS building and calculates a collision tree from it.

Using the HL2 engine would mean that you wern't going to use Delphi and GLScene. You would be using C/C++ with OpenGL or DirectX and simply converting the 3DS file to a HL2 compatiable map. Again google as there are lots of resources for this. There are some engines already built in Delphi for existing games (Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 come to mind). Look on SourceForge and go from there.

If your a true beginner, then take the baby steps route. If you just want something up and running and don't care how, then look into a 3rd party engine and loader code that already exists. For about $200 you could have a very professional system up and running.

pixin
31-08-2006, 06:55 AM
i will play around Glscene and BSPTREE Or Octree system :wink: thanks for help u clearfied alot of things for me..