PDA

View Full Version : Castle Game Engine 5.1.2 release - fixes, and tutorial improvements

michalis
11-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Castle Game Engine version 5.1.2 was just released! Get if from http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/engine.php .

This release brings a couple of fixes and improvements to the engine:

1. TCastleControl has 9 new useful events published (for documentation of them, see TUIContainer class):

OnOpen: TNotifyEvent
OnClose: TNotifyEvent
OnBeforeRender: TNotifyEvent
OnRender: TNotifyEvent
OnResize: TNotifyEvent
OnPress: TControlInputPressReleaseEvent
OnRelease: TControlInputPressReleaseEvent
OnMotion: TControlInputMotionEvent
OnUpdate: TNotifyEvent

These should be used to watch open/close of the context, to watch key/mouse events and to perform continous updates.

Some previous published stuf is deprecated now and will be removed in next release (sorry, we have to break compatibility --- this old stuff really doesn't make much sense, all new code should use new events). Also, the deprecated OnPaint was fixed --- just in case you're using it (but please switch to using OnRender soon!).

2. Tutorial:
* The beginning of the tutorial is much improved, it's smoother and shorter now. The goal is to be able to make a 3D game in 5 minutes using the tutorial!
* Also, the tutorial chapter "Adding a simple moving object" was added: http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/tutorial_castle_scene_transform.php .

3. You can save almost 0.7 MB from exe size by undefining CASTLE_EMBED_ALL_3D_FONT_VARIATIONS in some cases, see src/base/castleconf.inc for comments.
4. Various testsuite fixes and improvements.
5. Improved CastleCurves API, and also mark most of it as deprecated.

6. The website got a total facelift, using HTML5 and Bootstrap style. Various pages and menus were rearranged to be more helpful. I hope you enjoy the new website --- please leave a note in the comments :)

Ñuño Martínez
05-03-2015, 02:04 PM
The web site looks much nicer now. :)

Unfortunatelly I have almost no free time and I can't test it (except download and compile the examples). :(