PDA

View Full Version : FPC4GBA tutorial (W.I.P.)

Legolas
25-09-2006, 07:43 PM
I have put online a draft of my tutorial (http://itaprogaming.free.fr/tutorial.html) on gba programming with fpc. As you will see, it's in a work-in-progress stage, but you can figure how things work. I hope I will be able to add more stuff in the next weeks. Feedback, typos and bug corrections and advises are welcome. :lol:

Because I know that I am a bit slow in release updates, I have made a batch script for fpc4gba compiling, so you can't have excuses for delaying the gba coding on fpc :P

technomage
25-09-2006, 08:28 PM
That is a good read :D Nice work.

WILL
25-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Very nice. :)

The illustrations really attract the eye and aid the reader. :thumbup: for those!

Now the criticism...

:?: Where's the audio info?! :cry: I want audio...

:idea: How about showing us how to create a movie using mode 5? ;) You mentioned it so you obviously think it's a nice to have...

:arrow: That 'Usenti' program is a really cool tool. But I'm afraid that the page you link to might go dead some day. What about getting permission to host a copy (indicating the version, etc) from the guy?

:idea: Another item you can consider is the Link cable... Hard to do with minimal equipment, but possible I'm sure.

Other than all that stuff I think it's great as a basic overall tutorial and later reference guide. Of course there are things that it doesn't cover that will eventually come up, but thats more advanced things I think.

Great job! ;)

dmantione
25-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Wonderfull :D I think this is exactly what potential GBA programmers are looking for!

Legolas
25-09-2006, 09:13 PM

The illustrations really attract the eye and aid the reader. :thumbup: for those!

Now the criticism...

I'm working on it in this precise moment :lol:

:idea: How about showing us how to create a movie using mode 5? ;) You mentioned it so you obviously think it's a nice to have...

Good idea, I'll provide :D

:arrow: That 'Usenti' program is a really cool tool. But I'm afraid that the page you ]

I could try to ask him, even if I'm confident that this guy will keep his work online

[quote]
:idea: Another item you can consider is the Link cable... Hard to do with minimal equipment, but possible I'm sure.

I don't have a gba, so I don't know how the Link cable works. :(

Other than all that stuff I think it's great as a basic overall tutorial and later reference guide. Of course there are things that it doesn't cover that will eventually come up, but thats more advanced things I think.

Great job! ;)

Wonderfull :D I think this is exactly what potential GBA programmers are looking for!

Thanks a lot! 8)

WILL
25-09-2006, 09:21 PM

Now the criticism...

I'm working on it in this precise moment :lol:

Yay! :clap:

dmantione
25-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Tomorrow a news posting on the Free Pascal front page will appear. Will, can you make this findable from the PGD site, also to help Google find it?

WILL
25-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Yup! Helps if it's posted on the front page of PGD aswell. ;)

Legolas
25-09-2006, 09:27 PM
WILL: do you think that a sort of rss feed could be fine to auto update fpc4gba.pascalgamedevelopment.com?

WILL
25-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Hmm... sure. If you can find something that will load it. ;)

IIRC that page is only HTML right now, but could make use of PHP to load RSS feeds though.

FNX
26-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Great job Legolas!

I used to develop in C+HAMLib some years ago but now i think i'll wipe my GBA out of the box and start coding again! :)

jdarling
26-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Nice read. This is starting to make me want to have a GBA. Might have to go out and pickup one of those $25 ones from GameStop along with a card. Keep up the quality 8)