PDA

View Full Version : Columns - A puzzle game for Windows

Jimmy Valavanis
13-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Columns is a small puzzle game for Windows.

History:
I 've initially coded the game about 20 years ago (late '90s). Despite the fact that I was considering the source code lost, recently I gain access to an old PC of mine, and ... what a surprise! After a good clean-up the source code compiled and run!

Features:
-Difficulty levels (Easy/Hard)
-Save and load game
-Board size configuration
-Hi-score table
-GPL License.

Controls:
-Left/Right Arrow: Move
-Down Arrow: Fast Drop
-Up Arrow: Roll

Play the game:
You have to make 3-in-a-row rectangles to gain points (and reduce the matrix).
You also get some points when pressing the Down Arrow and the stick drops fast.

For programmers:
The game compiles with old Delphi versions (newer versions of Delphi or Lazarus should not be a problem, but haven't tried it).
It does not use any external libraries (simple GDI and MCI), so porting it to other platforms should not be a problem.

Download link (binary and source): https://sourceforge.net/projects/columns-for-windows/files/Columns_1.0/

Project samples:

https://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1531&stc=1&d=1539452652

Matthias
25-10-2018, 10:30 PM
History:
I 've initially coded the game about 20 years ago (late '90s). Despite the fact that I was considering the source code lost, recently I gain access to an old PC of mine, and ... what a surprise! After a good clean-up the source code compiled and run!

:D I still wait for some Turbo Pascal code to re-appear.

farcodev
26-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Ancient code always grow older in a better way than us :P
Good work Jimmy Valavanis!

Jimmy Valavanis
28-10-2018, 03:35 PM
:D I still wait for some Turbo Pascal code to re-appear.

Ancient code always grow older in a better way than us :P
Good work Jimmy Valavanis!

In fact there is some BGI (does anyone remember this?) and sound/nosound code in that old hard drive.....