PDA

View Full Version : The Tenth Dimension

technomage
29-10-2006, 11:55 PM
I stumbled across this on the Infinity forum.

I though it was very interesting.

http://tenthdimension.com/

JernejL
30-10-2006, 01:06 AM
That just made my head explode :shock:

WILL
30-10-2006, 01:55 AM
I'm still stuck on the 6th dimention. :P Can't... figure it..... out.... :doh:

cronodragon
30-10-2006, 06:35 AM
I watched a documental about Einstein in History Channel, and they talk about his last years, trying to find out a way to proof that quantum physics are not based on probabilities. The idea in classic physic is that if you make an experiment under the same conditions, you must always get the same result, but in quantum physics you always get differect results... then, does it mean that is based on probabilities, or does it mean that there is at least one condition we still don't know about, and so we can't control the parameters of the experiments?? Maybe something appart from space-time.

WILL
30-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Ok so let me see if I got this right now...

1st Dimention.... simple existance
2nd Dimention... Well width and height (or width+depth or height+depth)
3rd Dimention... Hello universe as we know it! :D
4th Dimention... Time...
5th Dimention... Probability...
6th Dimention... err... Impossibility?
7th Dimention is... um...

... :scratch: ... :think: ... :roll: ... :eh: ... :doh: ... :think: ... :shock: ... :scratch: ... :x ... Nope, no idea... :?

You know what I think I'll just make a new forum for Math & Physics! :P

grudzio
30-10-2006, 08:59 AM
I watched a documental about Einstein in History Channel, and they talk about his last years, trying to find out a way to proof that quantum physics are not based on probabilities. The idea in classic physic is that if you make an experiment under the same conditions, you must always get the same result, but in quantum physics you always get differect results... then, does it mean that is based on probabilities, or does it mean that there is at least one condition we still don't know about, and so we can't control the parameters of the experiments?? Maybe something appart from space-time.

I would say that in quantum mechanics it is impossible to restore the same experimental conditions due to Heisenberg principle. But it is a wild guess :) .

By the way, Einstein has got Nobel prize for explaining the fotoelectric effect - a quantum phenomenon. I find it very ironic that he was awarded a prize for the development of theory he did not approve.

czar
30-10-2006, 09:00 AM
I loved it. I thought it was well presented. My brain started to leak after 6 dimensions. But I figure I may watch it again.

grudzio
30-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Well, it looks like ten dimensions may be not enough :D . Here comes the M-theory (http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/gr/public/qg_ss.html#mtheory).

JernejL
30-10-2006, 09:48 AM

... :scratch: ... :think: ... :roll: ... :eh: ... :doh: ... :think: ... :shock: ... :scratch: ... :x ... Nope, no idea... :?

All possible impossibilities, and then all impossible possiblities :lol:

So in 10th dimension, you can reprisent every possible (infinite) configuration of existence that there can be.

NecroDOME
30-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Texture coordinats :P ?

JernejL
30-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Texture coordinats :P ?

LOL, and the 8.th dimension are fragment shaders? :lol:

jasonf
30-10-2006, 01:26 PM
yep.

Makes sense to me.. if the 10th dimension is a single point containing all possible universes based on all possible actions which were started by all possible actions then somewhere in this 10th dimension.. My Game is finished :D

savage
30-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Mine too!! In one of those points, no other programming language exists in the universe other than Pascal both for communication between species as well as for Programming. Life is Pascal and Pascal is Life!

technomage
30-10-2006, 08:12 PM
On the flip side of that , there must be a universe where COBOL is the only form of comunication........

or worse VB :!: :!: :wink:

cragwolf
30-10-2006, 09:40 PM
It's a nice way of "visualising" the higher dimensions through common analogies, and a neat use of Flash.

One thing that should be pointed out is that while the evidence for quantum mechanics is vast and the technological applications of it are numerous (including the very device that allows you to read my post), the evidence for string theory is completely non-existent. Worse, string theory is far from complete, and has not even reached the stage where falsifiable predictions can be made, so it is at best a sophisticated set of hypotheses, ideas, and mathematical structures that might one day form part of a successful scientific theory. Or it might be a monumental blunder, a long chase up a blind alley.

WILL
30-10-2006, 09:58 PM
You know it does make you wonder though... if one of the next generation computers (R&D by HP and funding by DARPA) is going to be using quantium physics, does this mean that we've started to breach the threshold of working with quantium mechanics?

jasonf
31-10-2006, 12:33 AM
Maybe we're in the only dimension where String Theory exists ;)

I'm sure that in some universes Cobol is the predomenant language, but it's second to Matress++ and in one universe Languages program people :D

WILL
31-10-2006, 02:09 AM
Hey guys! I figured it out.... :shock:

:fuzzy: I'm acending to the next dimention.... byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

savage
13-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Ok I just had a thought for a TV series based on string theory.

TV Series Pitch
Proposed Series Name - "How long is a piece of string" or "Is that a string in your pocket"

Summary
This is a cross between Ground Hog Day and String Theory using the 10th dimension.

Episodic Content
Each week we see the continuation of the previous episode, but told from the perspective of the next parralell universe in the linked list of infinity parralell universes.
So this opens up limitless perspectives and possibilities.

If anyone wants to send me royalty cheques, or would like me to help write some episodes, I can supply bank account details :).