PDA

View Full Version : DirectX10 hardware released

Clootie
09-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Well, I just wanted to hint what yesterday NVIDIA released (with immediate availability in stores) first Direct3D10 compatible GPU!
:roll:

And day before yesterday MS finally released Vista RTM! :shock:

czar
09-11-2006, 07:21 PM
I have to say my first impression of Vista was not good. I spent most of my time clicking "yes I trust this manfacturer" and "yes please continue I give you permission".

I do not like the fact that small developers will have to get hold of a publisher's certificate - otherwise users will be faced with messages of " are you sure you can trust this publisher?". At $500 US a year it is pretty steep.

We have to maintain some older software originally made for Windows 98 - none of it works with Vista - at the moment I have no idea how much work it will be to fix it. I installed Vista on a small drive - I thought it was 40GB it turned out to be 10GB and vista took up 9.3 GB - not quite enough to actually do anything else :(

I guess in the new year we will have to start thinking about getting a development system set up with vista installed.

My over all impression was, why did they "fix" things that weren't broken?

As for the aero eyecandy - 5 minutes later and the wow factor is long gone.

WILL
09-11-2006, 10:42 PM
We have to maintain some older software originally made for Windows 98
Thats seems kind of like a lost cause considering that MS themselves no longer support it. :? AND the fact that it's almost 9 years old now. :P

Anyhow, back to the on-topic theme of this thread. :) Is there any new function calls or features that will be in the hardware of a brand spanking new DX10 GPU? And can we expect the same OpenGL performance from these cards?

czar
09-11-2006, 11:57 PM
Thats seems kind of like a lost cause considering that MS themselves no longer support it

Umm, not sure what that this has to do with mainting older software :o - our software works fine with Windows XP.

As for the new GPU - dx 10 is very different from anything that came before. Should be interesting to see what sort of software we will have to play with in a few years time.

Unified shaders promise some choice GFX - lets see how it pans out.

Clootie
10-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Btw, unified shaders is not a "feature" of DX10 - it's just a common cense implementation :D

WILL
10-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Thats seems kind of like a lost cause considering that MS themselves no longer support it

Umm, not sure what that this has to do with mainting older software - our software works fine with Windows XP.
Oh ok, I assumed you meant that you had to support the Win98 platform specifically it's self. 'Ouch' simply at the thought of that. :)

Well when is the official full DirectX 10 actually due? ...Clootie?

Clootie
10-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Till end of November MS will made "business" versions Vista available. I'm not sure will they be available in retail. :lol:

And D3D10 is integrated in Vista and only in Vista. To use new features under XP one would have to use OpenGL with new extentions provided by IHV's (i.e. NVIDIA or AMD/ATI).

WILL
10-11-2006, 01:30 AM
I'm sure glad that I'm sticking with OpenGL! ;)

czar
10-11-2006, 02:41 AM
So will OpenGL still work correctly under Vista? I heard that OpenGL surface is rendered to a DX surface, is thatr correct? If so is there much of a performance hit?

Traveler
10-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Apparently, it does (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=380046) work correctly.

JernejL
10-11-2006, 10:04 AM
So will OpenGL still work correctly under Vista? I heard that OpenGL surface is rendered to a DX surface, is thatr correct? If so is there much of a performance hit?

as long as you have proper hardware drivers for it, it will work with full speed.

Clootie
10-11-2006, 06:01 PM
But yes, it will render to DXGI surface :)