PDA

View Full Version : EldoS Corporation Switches to Chrome for .NET 2.0

WILL
17-11-2006, 07:17 AM
It seems that Delphi is losing it's customers to a new competitor in the Object Pascal compiler market, as in this case, it's not Free Pascal or Lazarus.

Anyone keeping up with the 'latest and greatest' in the software development world will tell you that that is this new managed source trend. Though not quite so attractive to us game developers, it does however appeal to the business community for whatever the reasons. This could be a problem for Delphi as it's bread and butter is exactly those business developers.

Eugene Mayevski of the EldoS Corporation writes about one of their mainstream products, SecureBlackbox and how the transition from Delphi to Chrome went.

I hope our friends at CodeGear will be reading this too.

"Until now, Borland has yet to provide any support for other CLR platforms, or even for .NET 2.0 in its Delphi compiler. As demand for .NET 2.0 grew among our customers, this left us with no choice other than to actively migrate our product entirely to Chrome."

Read the case study article posted at www.remobjects.com ('http://www.remobjects.com/casestudies/?id={337C02D8-8FFC-4A9B-A1C3-A83F1744B22B}')

JernejL
17-11-2006, 07:43 AM
but honestly, the delphi.net/chrome market is tiny, what codegear needs to do is, D7 quality product with D2006 compiler, it is now getting beaten by lazarus from many sides, lazarus having 64 bit support and work is being done on unicode..

The only thing borland still has is a good compiler, but couldn't they like opensource the ide perhaps? or sell the source code in a manner they do with vcl source code with the more expensive versions of their products..

They have a good compiler and a screwed-up ide.

marmin
17-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm a bit confused .. do you mean 'and how the transition from Delphi TO Chrome went' ? As you thread mentiones is 'switched to chrome'. Or do you mean the product 'secureblackbox". :?

WILL
17-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Uh yes. :) You're precisely right. I made a typo there.

tanffn
17-11-2006, 04:10 PM
I actually like the new Delphi 2005/2006 IDE, takes some time to get used to it but it offers alot more and in the end of the day speeds up and eases the development.

They have a lot of other problems to solve.. CodeGear have alot of work on their hands..

bigsofty
18-11-2006, 10:34 AM
if (Chrome >= Delphi) then Response := ROFL;

Zenophran
19-11-2006, 01:13 PM
I actually like the new Delphi 2005/2006 IDE, takes some time to get used to it but it offers alot more and in the end of the day speeds up and eases the development.
Gotta agree with that, there's a lot of interest in the eclipse IDE and Delphi 200x's IDE seems based on it. My biggest issue with it is it's got .net crap in there instead of java, not sure why they'd do that if you only want win32 stuff. All in all, now that I'm used to it, I've noticed that I miss it when playing with Lazurus.

technomage
19-11-2006, 01:50 PM
You can launch the new BDS 2006 IDE in just win32 delphi mode, which is how I use it most of the time, unless I'm converting C++ code. :D

To so that just add

-pDelphi

to your shortcut and it will start Delphi Win32 only.

JernejL
19-11-2006, 02:26 PM
[quote="tanffn"]My biggest issue with it is it's got .net crap in there instead of java, not sure why they'd do that if you only want win32 stuff.

Are you crazy?!? you'd use java in the delphi ide? look how bad .net is, and java is even worse..

Zenophran
24-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Let me clarify, BDS requires .net for the ide to function (even though I only use the win32 personality with -pDelphi). I'd prefer the use of java opposed to .net as my primary requirement at this point in time is cross-platform support. That being said, for BDS I'd prefer a straight Win32 client without the need of anything else. There used to be a way to do it, but it was "fixed" in a service pack. Just read the requirements for Turbo Delphi to see what I mean.

The main gist of what I was saying though, was BDS requiring .net looks based on eclipse which requires java. I realise that wasn't too clear now I re-read it.

And yeah, I'm probably a bit crazy, but aren't we all... :)