PDA

View Full Version : Help Us Spread The Word in PGD's 1st Advertising Campaign!

WILL
22-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Hey everyone!

Something we've been planning for ages now, is to do an ambitious advertising campaign for the PGD community and to really get the word out about the site and what we all do here.

I have 2 video commercial projects planned that after they are completed will be posted on sites like YouTube and Google Video. And these videos will feature YOU the individuals of the PGD community! This is your chance to show off and shout out to the internet that Pascal Game Development rocks and it's growing! :thumbup:

You can be a part of either video all you need is a video camera and/or a web cam and some free time. Here is what we need from you.

Project 1: I'm an Object Pascal Programmer!

Send us a video clip of you, in your own way or in your own first language saying to the camera with pride "I'm an Object Pascal programmer!" you can change it to say Delphi or just Pascal if you like too. :)

Project 2: Join Our Adventure

In this one you get to be creative. Send us a short clip up to 1 minute of you doing something exciting or fun that you like to do. Also clips of you working or having fun with your other group/team members would be great for this as well. Be creative, have fun and show off your wild side. We want to show off that us PGD'ers know how to have fun. :) Oh and feel free to plug the official PGD logo, site URL or title! ;)

Other project ideas:

We're open to new and exciting ideas. If you are brave, creative or bold and have a great idea for a commercial on the cheap ala free. :P Of course it would help if you could film it yourself then drop me a PM and let me have it. ;)

Cool ideas that I'd love to see tried:

:arrow: Running a large banner with the official logo on it to the top of a tall building or some buildings. (Though permission to do so might be helpful with this! :P)
:arrow: People forming the letters "PGD" as seen from above.
:arrow: Finding people that know what Pascal is and educating them on the street about it live!. :P
:arrow: A snowball fight between Pascal and C programmers and the Pascal programmers winning. :lol:

Other ideas?

Huehnerschaender
22-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah! This idea rocks!

I want to participate in whatever you want.....

Let me make a video of me and my son (nearly 2 years old) how I teach him programming in Delphi :) :) :)

WILL
22-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Well I am doing projects 1 and 2 myself (Editing and taking part in) so if you want to participate in those, I recommend sending me in stuff for those first. Maybe I could show you with your son in front of the computer working together as part of Project 2.

I will be able to complete the 1st one when I have about 2 minutes of footage and the 2nd when I have about 3-4 minutes of footage. So it's encouragement of max participation.

cairnswm
23-11-2006, 05:22 AM
We want to show off that us PGD'ers know how to have fun.

Do you mean Outside of our role as Pascal Game Devers?

tanffn
23-11-2006, 09:09 AM
I don’t know if it fits PGD style (fun, gaming community). I can take a few shots of the hardware im working on (I work in an R&D company), showing that Pascal is capable for fast and slim projects for micro-controllers (and then moving on to) as well as big PC client side projects (DB, UI, 3D, etc etc).

savage
23-11-2006, 09:38 AM

Yes.

JernejL
23-11-2006, 10:05 AM
maybe a template would be cool so i would know how to spell it properly? i'm not native english speaker :P

Huehnerschaender
23-11-2006, 10:40 AM
In my opinion it would be cooler if everyone says it in his own language!

This way the movie shows that we are a big community spreaded all over the world (like it actually IS).

JernejL
23-11-2006, 11:04 AM
In my opinion it would be cooler if everyone says it in his own language!

This way the movie shows that we are a big community spreaded all over the world (like it actually IS).

hehe, good plan! i'm going to record it with a cameraphone.

cairnswm
23-11-2006, 11:09 AM

Yes.

Cool so the movie of your 10km finish can be used :)

I'll try get some of me doing my big adventure race in December - not sure how though as there is no way I'm carrying a camera for the whole race.

WILL
23-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Well it's a bit easier than carrying your laptop and coding while your running the race, no? ;)

:lol:

Well with 'Join Our Adventure' I'd like to mix the fun stuff with the cool work stuff we do. I think that it'll give people a taste of a PGD member's lifestyle. :) And of course everyone is different so I can honestly expect each person's contribution to be as such.

So yeah tanffn, your clip would be great. And no you don't have to jump out of a tank with a jacknife kick and shoot fireballs out of your fingers, but if you can put it into the clip cuz that would be kinda neat to see. :)

Just try to keep what you send me to about 1 minute as I'm planning for the commercial to be just 3-4 mins long and having over 40 mins of footage to condence and choose bits from will be hard enough. ;)

And... you guys can send me the clips via email at raproductions@hotmail.com if they are under 10 MB. (a Hotmail restriction) Another means will be nessissary for bigger files though, perhaps place them on your filesharing site or if Dom can handle bigger attachments he will be able to accept them via email aswell.

cairnswm
23-11-2006, 01:23 PM
When do you need them by?

I know someone that took a movie of me doing a presentation about GameDev :)

WILL
23-11-2006, 06:00 PM
There is no set deadline, but sooner is better. :)

I would expect (depending on the amount of clips I get) that Project 1 would be able to be done quite quickly though. Quite a simple editing job to do, just simple scene cuts.

WILL
25-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Hey Dom can we get this poll placed on the index page for more exposure?

I'm also making up a new poster for the 'Events' box that'll be coming your way sometime next week guys.

So who else is planning on participating? Don't make me go out and walk around downtown for people to 'fake' liking Object Pascal. :P That wouldn't be right. :o

WILL
25-11-2006, 02:06 AM
Well I've decided to lead the pack on Project 1 and submit a little 2 minute 'blooper' clip of me trying to get some decent footage of myself for the ad.

WILL's PGD Ad Bloopers (http://www.zippyvideos.com/7658150096327806/pgd_ad_encouragementvideo/)

At least noone can say that I'm asking you guys to do something that I have not done myself. :P Oh, and yes I make a total jackass of myself so feel free to laugh at me, just be kind in reply. ;)

As for the actual phrase, "I'm an Object Pascal programmer!" Is still the target phrase, but "developer" just stuck in my head. Doesn't matter so much, a little variation will actually make it interesting so do your worst. 8)

Legolas
25-11-2006, 03:13 AM
Well I've decided to lead the pack on Project 1 and submit a little 2 minute 'blooper' clip of me trying to get some decent footage of myself for the ad.

WILL's PGD Ad Bloopers (http://www.zippyvideos.com/7658150096327806/pgd_ad_encouragementvideo/)

At least noone can say that I'm asking you guys to do something that I have not done myself. :P Oh, and yes I make a total jackass of myself so feel free to laugh at me, just be kind in reply. ;)

As for the actual phrase, "I'm an Object Pascal programmer!" Is still the target phrase, but "developer" just stuck in my head. Doesn't matter so much, a little variation will actually make it interesting so do your worst. 8)

ROTFLMAO!!! Oh, please! I just can't stop laughing :D

Ok, ok! You have convinced me: I'll put aside my shyness and will do a short clip :lol:
Now I should decide: English? Italian? French? My local dialect? Singing the slogan? Burping it? :think:

PS. Your initial sound check is fantastic! :clown:

Huehnerschaender
25-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Muhahaha..... are you dreaming of this sentence meanwhile?

Btw... nice to "see" you for the first time :)

I think it's really making me feel stupid talking into a camera all alone in my room, but I guess I'll do it :)

Greetings,
Dirk

savage
25-11-2006, 08:24 PM
That is great! I now have that expression burned into my brain. Btw, you might also want to do a nature style angle like these guys
http://www.zippyvideos.com/8291253621484/09_29-08-2004_2am_native_programmer/

WILL
29-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Well no submissions yet. What are you guys waiting for? :)

tanffn
30-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Probably a slice of free time...

tanffn
30-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Now I should decide: English? Italian? French? My local dialect? Singing the slogan? Burping it? :think:

That’s a good question.. what do you say WILL? (I can offer Hebrew, English, Portuguese, Spanish and some Klingon)

Legolas
02-12-2006, 02:58 PM

That’s a good question.. what do you say WILL? (I can offer Hebrew, English, Portuguese, Spanish and some Klingon)

So... WILL, I have my cam ready to start, but I need to know which language you need (taking for granted that no one will understand my English) :D

WILL
02-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Ok tell you what then. Everyone give me about 3 good ones in English and 1 or 2 in their native language. Mind you, I won't be able to pick out the studdering or sluring in non-english languages. ;)

So I'll end up taking the one that edit's nicely (English or Non-English language depending on the amount of non-english I get.)

And you don't have to post them publicly. In fact a post on YouTube or any other video hosting will do me no good. I need them in their original recorded format (provided it's not this huge file or a thousand attempts) with your best 3 english and 1 or two in your native toung.

So Legolas English and tanffn.... err where ever you are from. :scratch: Funny how I still don't know. Just not Kilngon. :P (Imagines all the new sterotypes cropping up. :fuzzy: )

So that should basically do it for the 1st project. For Project 2 do whatever you like. Just make it interesting and/or fun/cool. :)

NecroDOME
11-12-2006, 10:59 AM
LOL @ Video :P

tanffn
12-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Completely forgot about this :oops: I will try to do something even tonight. sorry WILL.

WILL
12-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Awesome! :)

The "I am" commercial needs max participation. (I'm mean common! it's ~3 seconds of fame. ;) CIA ain't that quick. :lol:)

Now if we want to look at it from a mathematical perspective, consider this;

It'll take 3-4 seconds to say the line and I want to run the commercial for as long as 2 minutes 30 seconds. To cover that time-frame with full 3 second clips I'd need 50 people to say the soon to be famous words. :shock: Oh yeah... So if you guys haven't started already (and I know you haven't) get your buttox in front of that cam and start recording. :)

Now I realize that this is a significantly large number for such a small crowd so I've thought about it a bit and instead of a video of a bunch of guys just saying "I'm a ..." we could have the development groups like Magic Storm, NecroSOFT, and the rest to send clips of them in force saying who they are...

On top of this you can also say things like "I make games in/with Pascal/Object Pascal/Delphi/Lazarus/Free Pascal/etc!"

In short we need video to even do this and so far the only one who has recorded anything is me. :? So all those that have offered to join in, awesome, thanks, please email them to me soon.

And those that haven't come on you'll be helping to promote something that you love. At most we may only use you for 3 seconds like I said, so if you the camera shy type, don't be. After all is said and done, it's only 3 seconds.

All video clips can be emailed to me at: raproductions@hotmail.com (1,000 KB or less file attachments per email pls)

Legolas
12-12-2006, 04:35 PM
I have sent my clips :mrgreen:
C'mon, guys! Be jackass like me and WILL and take up that cam! :joker:

WILL
12-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Nice job Francesco! :thumbup:

tanffn
13-12-2006, 10:00 AM
It'll take 3-4 seconds to say the line and I want to run the commercial for as long as 2 minutes 30 seconds. To cover that time-frame with full 3 second clips I'd need 50 people to say the soon to be famous words. :shock: Oh yeah... So if you guys haven't started already (and I know you haven't) get your buttox in front of that cam and start recording. :)

If you want I can wear a wig and record my self several times :wink:

WILL
13-12-2006, 03:35 PM
:lol: naw thats ok. You how you normally are is fine. ;)

But if you want to really help you can make a few in english (and if you have any other main languages those would be great too) with the "I am..." line.

:idea: If you'd really like to help more then maybe a short version of why you got into making games with Pascal would be neat. I can splice them together with the commercial in fact, others can/will offer their stories too I think. :idea:

Make the commercial more interesting that way I think. What do you guys think?

Oh and for those that might be wondering/worrying when or if I'll be focusing more on the games that are made by Pascal developers, worry not. I'll be doing some cool footage with all of that too. I just want to get the 'hard stuff' first which is live 'actors'. 8)

IlovePascal
14-12-2006, 01:11 AM
One day I walked up to my friend and said "hook me up wiv sumin good, g!", and the next day he brought me a white powder.
Two months later, I walked up to him again and said "this is old stuff now, g. Hook me up wiv sumin beta!" and the next day he gave me a piece of paper with the words "Pascal Game Development" on it.
A year later and Im still not over it!

How's that for catchy? :mrgreen:

Or maybe not. :scratch:

But I reckon in your advertising campaign, you should aim for 'average' programmers or beginners. :toocool: If it's all about those who are good at it, then those who need to learn will not be able to cos those who can help can't be bothered or they explain things in complicated ways!
:salute:

tanffn
19-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Chief, I know you don’t care for excuses, but I had a really “bad hair day” week and after that passed all the good shirts are condensed in a big pile near the washing-machine.. :roll:

Give me a few more days :)

Legolas
19-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Chief, I know you don’t care for excuses, but I had a really “bad hair day” week and after that passed all the good shirts are condensed in a big pile near the washing-machine.. :roll:

Give me a few more days :)

This is the same (unresolved, you will see...) problem I had :lol:

WILL
19-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Man, I don't think anyone has had nice hair in the commercial yet. Besides... we're all code monkeys (just listened to that song, had a good laugh) we're supposed to be scruffy looking. :P

Nitrogen
01-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Hey Will, I've got some raw footage of three of my pascal projects.

Feel free to use them for your PGD video:

http://www.nitrogen.za.org/video/CA.avi
http://www.nitrogen.za.org/video/Foundry.avi
http://www.nitrogen.za.org/video/Chrome.avi

They have no sound, 320x240, 30fps, Xvid encoded, around 10mb each.

I may have to remove them with short notice, so get it while it's hot!

WILL
01-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Very cool! Will do :)

Firlefanz
07-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Cool idea. Scenes of the current project would also be nice, I will create a footage video of "The Innominate" soon.

I only have a problem FRAPS is not available in Germany, you can only buy it with a credit card (I have a european one only) and with Paypal which I don't use because I had problems with that once.

Or does anybody know something like FRAPS available in Germany or free?

But this idea sound very good!

Firle

3_of_8
07-03-2007, 12:55 PM
I'd like to take part in that, too. Just a short video clip in which I say that sentence? (I could even say it in three languages. ;) )

I have both a small camera and a webcam.

WILL
07-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Or does anybody know something like FRAPS available in Germany or free?

There is Cam Studio (http://www.camstudio.org/) which is freeware. But I could get it to perform as well as I'd like on this system. Maybe you can tweak it for better performance on yours...

3_of_8, yup thats about it for Project #1. I can post up other things on my YouTube channel aswell. Stuff like the Genesis Device Engine demo vid that I've got up there now.

If you have anything that would do well in video, please send it over. I'll either use it in another project or release on it's own if it's that good. :)

Check out the PascalGameDev channel on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=PascalGameDev)!

WILL
09-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Micheal: I'd like to post a full version of 'The Foundry' on my PascalGameDev channel, if thats ok with you. :) How long was it in total?

(Btw, I finally d/led the videos the other day. It's safe to remove them if you need to. ;))