PDA

View Full Version : Oh crap, here come the cells!

HopeDagger
30-11-2006, 05:44 AM
Note: Since my latest project isn't Pascal-related (sorry!) I guess I'll toss it here in the Off-Topic area. Not as much glory here, but I've got to pimp my game SOMEWHERE around here. ;)

------------------

Enter Membrane Massacre. A deadly bacteria is sweeping the world, and medical science has lost all hope of defeating it. Luckily for you, Dr. Smallship, that you have invented a shrinking device that will allow you to shrink a heavily-armed space fighter to a microscopic level to battle the bacteria the old fashioned way: brute force.

Equipped with five unique weapons of destruction and a steel-hard determination, you face the oncoming hoardes of sinister bacteria in your patient's body. Journey through randomly generated destructable environments and crush the cells that seek to devour the body's tissue and destroy your intrusive efforts. Watch your foes jiggle with realistic physics as you bombard them with gunfire. Nobody said that it'll be an easy battle, but for the sake of the human race, it's darn well worth a try!

Membrane Massacre is a coffee-break style game that is ideal for rather short, fun-filled sessions that are randomly generated each time you play. It's the product of a 'competition' between myself and a friend to develop a fun game within the timeframe of half a month, and this is my result. So take a shot at the devious bacteria lurking within, and see if you can defeat the evil bacterium boss, El Mucho Membrane! Controls and other details included in the README file. Hope you enjoy! :)

Download Membrane Massacre now! (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums//mod/gds/download.asp?projectID=424943)

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums//mod/gds/sshot/424943-579-full.png

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums//mod/gds/sshot/424943-581-full.png

WILL
30-11-2006, 06:09 AM
Rather nice work Stephen. :)

Too bad you never put anything Pascal into it. Could have possibly been even better. ;)

Neat concept. Not in any way inspired by ArcticMacrob is it? Or maybe I'm just thinking that due to the common microscopic organizim theme they both reside in.

BTW: What happened to your old article posted on onGameDev a while back? It seems to have gone missing. :?

grudzio
30-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Good game. It reminds me of the film "Innerspace".

JSoftware
30-11-2006, 08:01 AM
I enjoyed playing it! Saw it over at GDNet

Thumbs up.

HopeDagger
30-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Too bad you never put anything Pascal into it. Could have possibly been even better. ;)

Hehe, Traveler seemed to feel the same way. :P

Neat concept. Not in any way inspired by ArcticMacrob is it? Or maybe I'm just thinking that due to the common microscopic organizim theme they both reside in.

Haven't heard of it, sorry. I intentionally went for an area that I have played no similar games of, or seen movies of, to prevent unintentional 'nabbing' of ideas.

BTW: What happened to your old article posted on onGameDev a while back? It seems to have gone missing. :?

onGameDev is a little on the, er, dead side. The database died and the external admin (admin of onRPG, the host of onGameDev) never really got it repaired. :-/

Good game.

I enjoyed playing it!
Thumbs up.

Thanks and thanks. :)

savage
30-11-2006, 04:29 PM

Haven't heard of it, sorry. I intentionally went for an area that I have played no similar games of, or seen movies of, to prevent unintentional 'nabbing' of ideas.

If you have a look at this year's PGD competition entries you'll find ArcticMacrob's entry there. Very similar theme to yours. Must be a case of great minds think alike.

HopeDagger
30-11-2006, 04:52 PM
If you have a look at this year's PGD competition entries you'll find ArcticMacrob's entry there. Very similar theme to yours. Must be a case of great minds think alike.

Oh whoops, I guess I did play it; I remember going over the entries about a week ago. ;) As I recall it was a very different game from MM, though.

WILL
30-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Very similar theme to yours. Must be a case of great minds think alike.

My sentiments exactly. ;)

onGameDev is a little on the, er, dead side. The database died and the external admin (admin of onRPG, the host of onGameDev) never really got it repaired. :-/

Well that stinks. :? Any way to recover your article or is it gone forever?

HopeDagger
30-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Well that stinks. :? Any way to recover your article or is it gone forever?

I'm not too concerned. It was a pretty bad article anyways. :)

WILL
30-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Getting off-topic now (for an 'off-topic' topic ;)) but care to write another (better?) one?

HopeDagger
30-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Getting off-topic now (for an 'off-topic' topic ;)) but care to write another (better?) one?

We'll see what the future brings! (Yes, this is very off-topic. :P)