PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the News Page!

WILL
07-12-2006, 05:22 AM
Hey everyone! As you may have noticed, there has been some new additions to the News Page of late. This is a part of my efforts to enhance the PGD experiece and offer you all the news and information you would want when coming to the site.

I'm planning on adding more RSS feeds from the GDC guys aswell as move some things around to make the most of the space we have near the top of the layout.

Any comments, suggestions or requests are welcome. We'll do what we can to improve PGD for you. :)

grudzio
07-12-2006, 12:23 PM
The RSS feeds and headlines panel does not show up in the subsilver theme.

WILL
07-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I've been keeping that copy around just in case I doof and make a big enough mistake that I need to start over again. ;)

I'll be applying all the changes I make to the main PGD Theme to the Subsilver theme version aswell.

WILL
11-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Another addition... Flash-based Events poster!

WILL
12-12-2006, 03:01 PM
So out of curiosity, who actually uses the PGD (default) theme?

Legolas
12-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Me o/ :)

jdarling
12-12-2006, 04:25 PM
I use the default theme, but wouldn't a quick query of the DB with a chart of usage details be more useful then asking in the forums :)

WILL
12-12-2006, 05:07 PM
True, but then we'd have far less to talk about, no? :P

JernejL
12-12-2006, 05:11 PM
So out of curiosity, who actually uses the PGD (default) theme?

me too :D

WILL
12-12-2006, 05:26 PM
See also, I can now put you all on the spot and ask informally what you guys think of the additions to the main (portal.php) page?

Are the changes good, bad... indifferent, etc. I'm guess it's not so bad or I'd have heard about it by now. :)

Sorry for those trying to surf PGD while I was doing all the work the other day though. :lol: Must have thought they where having browser problems. :P

I actually am having one remaining issue with the GameDev.net RSS. For some reason it's not the most current one, but an older (possibly last?) one that comes up. :scratch: Oh well, I'll get to it in a few days I guess.

So... opinions? I won't be offended, no worries. ;)

grudzio
12-12-2006, 05:35 PM
I like new Events and Quote panels.

WILL
21-12-2006, 06:51 AM
Fixed a little bug when an RSS feed cannot be read by the main page. If you guys see it anymore please let me know.

Legolas
21-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Fixed a little bug when an RSS feed cannot be read by the main page. If you guys see it anymore please let me know.

Warning: fopen(http://www.gamedev.net/xml/) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! in /...cut.../portal.php on line 419

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /...cut.../portal.php on line 430

Too much infos for hackers :D
This error comes in the main page only, though the rssfeed box works fine, in fact it says:

GameDev.net News:
Error reading RSS data.

WILL
21-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I've been seeing it too. :? Crappy GameDev.net RSS feed source. :P

PHP 4 doesn't have try does it? I've been trying (irony) to make fopen return nothing (or at least just not complain for all to see) when it chokes. The fclose error is fairly easy to resolve, however.

Legolas
21-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I've been seeing it too. :? Crappy GameDev.net RSS feed source. :P

PHP 4 doesn't have try does it? I've been trying (irony) to make fopen return nothing (or at least just not complain for all to see) when it chokes. The fclose error is fairly easy to resolve, however.

In order to disable all warnings you could use:

error_reporting (0);
as the first call in your php page or, at least, you can disable the warning of a function by using @ in this way:

@fopen(....)

WILL
21-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Ah ok... thanks a bunch! ;)

So the @ solution will disable the error reporting only for that line, correct?

I'd want to know about other errors besides that one still.

Legolas
21-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Yes, and it should work for all that functions that return warning/error/info

WILL
22-12-2006, 04:40 AM
Ok it's in... NOW, if you guys see any errors, please let me know. ;)