PDA

View Full Version : New OpenAL 1.1 SDK & Installer for Windows

WILL
20-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Creative has released new OpenAL 1.1 SDK for Windows and OpenAL 1.1 Installer for Windows packages!

Creative sites that the new Core SDK now has better documentation, new extentions, brand new example code and the help files are now version 2.0!

From the OpenAL site:
"The OpenAL Installer includes new libraries incorporating the latest bugfixes, some performance improvements, and Windows Vista compatability. The SDK incorporates the new OpenAL Installer, and has minor changes and improvements."

From Creative's Developer Central site:
"The OpenAL SDK has been updated Winter 2006. The SDK now includes the X-RAM Extension, the Effect Extension, a Multi-Channel Buffer playback extension, lots of new documentation, more example source code, and Help 2.0 Help files for integration with Microsoft's Visual Studio .NET compilers!"

DLL Version numbers:
OpenAL32.dll version 6.14.357.19
wrap_oal.dll version 2.1.4.0

Changes and Bugfixes
Fixed Windows 98 crash bug
Fixed floating-point related slow-down in "Generic Software" device
Fixed Source Gain problem on Stereo Buffers.
OpenAL Router search path now includes Router's directory.
Windows Vista Default Device and Device Enumeration fixes.
ALC Capture Extension can now be used independent of playback.

Get the latest OpenAL 1.1 SDK and/or Installer at developer.creative.com ('http://developer.creative.com/landing.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38')!

www.OpenAL.org ('http://www.openal.org/') is the home of the OpenAL 3D audio library.

cronodragon
01-08-2007, 02:03 AM
Are there Delphi headers for this? :?

WILL
01-08-2007, 03:00 AM
Well it was some time ago... but I don't think that Maarten (Noeska) did the 1.1 translation. Worth checking into.

www.noeska.com is where you can find his OpenAL Headers.

cronodragon
01-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the link.

I'm curious what's the difference between OpenAL and DirectSound, apart from being multiplatform? Is OpenAL more powerful?

WILL
01-08-2007, 07:49 PM
In a word, yes.

However, to be more fair, one should compare DirectSound3D to OpenAL as the latter is a 3D sound library not a 2D one. DirectSound it's self is only 2D.

But aside from that the library, like OpenGL, work like State Machines whereas DirectSound3D in doesn't.

noeska
01-08-2007, 10:09 PM
The current version of the pascal openal unit is openal 1.0 and includes some beta support for 1.1 .

This reminds me that i really should check the current version against openal 1.1 and make a new release.

However the openal unit for 1.0 also works with openal 1.1.

@WILL: my name is marten not maarten :)

WILL
02-08-2007, 02:30 AM
@WILL: my name is marten not maarten :)

Oops. :P Sorry got your spelling mixed up with Mr. MCLaw's name :? You should see what happens when I have to type Michael. Or was that Micheal? Or Michelle? or Michiel? :fuzzy:

Anyhow, I'd be looking forward to a new release of your headers. Actually if I could make a request of your next version. How likely would it be for you to make sure it's 100% FPC compatible? iow FPC/Laz for Win32, Linux, Mac OS X, etc, etc?

Of course I mean that inclusive to being fully Delphi 7 - 2007 (for Win32) compatible as well.