PDA

View Full Version : Understanding capabilities of JEDI-SDL and other libraries..

GuyWithDogs
30-12-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm trying to look at what SDL does, because I'm looking for specific behavior. I want to play AVI, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, etc - video files - in a Delphi program.

I've used DSPack before, and it has a certain set of limitations. I'd like to expand my possibilities, but any time I search on "video playback" and related terms, I keep running into "video" meaning "video screen" or "video subsystem", rather than "stream of images".

So - is there a way of playing back video files (as in "stream of images") using SDL and Delphi? Easily? If so, can you point me to a tutorial or example or something that discusses how?

Thanks.

grudzio
30-12-2006, 10:25 PM
You can play movies by using smpeg library included with the JEDI_SDL. It also comes with Delphi demos.

GuyWithDogs
31-12-2006, 04:06 AM
You can play movies by using smpeg library included with the JEDI_SDL. It also comes with Delphi demos.

Is there a page on a tutorial for setting up and using JEDI-SDL with BDS 2006? I got some things working, sort of, by doing some extra downloads of DLLs from www.libsdl.org (for smpeg.dll and sdl_mixer.dll, in particular). I tried adding all the ..\pas directories to the Search Path, and tried compiling and playing a file with the SMpegPlayer demo.

It sort of worked, for a couple of mpeg files, but eventually locked my computer up. I'm guessing it's my setup, but I couldn't find something that said "here's how". Is there such an explanation available?

Thanks.

savage
31-12-2006, 06:10 AM
It sort of worked, for a couple of mpeg files, but eventually locked my computer up. I'm guessing it's my setup, but I couldn't find something that said "here's how". Is there such an explanation available?

smpeg will not play Mpeg 4 movies. There is not much documentation available on smpeg unfortunately.

GuyWithDogs
31-12-2006, 06:41 AM
smpeg will not play Mpeg 4 movies. There is not much documentation available on smpeg unfortunately.

I tried playing an AVI, an MPEG-1, an MPEG-2, and a WMV. Didn't try MPEG-4.

SMpegPlayer played the MPEG-1, and then trying some of the others gave my dev machine the heebie-jeebies. Had to reboot. I tried creating some of the other files, but I was getting various errors about not finding some files related to SDL. So that's why I was asking about a tutorial.