PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies

cragwolf
31-12-2006, 05:22 AM
Aside from programming, what are your hobbies? Mine are:

1) American civil war. I have about a hundred books on the subject, mostly focusing on military aspects, strategy and tactics, campaigns and battles.

2) Mathematics books (not textbooks) which are aimed at people who have done at least a year of the subject at university. The books of Paul Nahin are good examples.

3) History of science. It's a far messier (and hence more interesting) subject than you might glean from TV documentaries or popular books.

4) Hiking in remote mountainous areas. Solitude and nature, a great combination.

savage
31-12-2006, 06:08 AM
* Running
* Aspiring movie maker
* Reading a good fiction book
* Listening to any unusual bands.

tanffn
31-12-2006, 10:16 AM
:shock: What do you mean "Aside from programming"!? Next thing you'll say is that there is something outside the cubicle! :roll:

..Nothing... When I had time (~7 years ago) I used to:
Swim
Scuba dive
Build 'stuff' (Trebuchet for instance)
Last summer I bought several rocket engine design books, I’ll probably read them next summer :/

grudzio
31-12-2006, 01:06 PM
In no particular order
- ancient and medieval history.
- guitar playing.
- chess & go.
- reading SF & Fantasy books.
- playing computer games :D

Build 'stuff' (Trebuchet for instance)

That's what I want to try.

cairnswm
02-01-2007, 05:03 AM
Running - My goal is to run the Comrades Marathon this year (87km) - www.comrades.co.za
Adventure Racing (OK sort of related to running)
Fly Fishing
Painting - I'm not very good at it
Vegetable Gardening - Just dont have enough time for it
Reading

And then the important ones of:
Kids
Wife

NecroDOME
02-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Gaming,
Hangout with friends.

but mostly programming...

jdarling
02-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Photography - Well you could call it a hobby, used to own a business.
Robotics - Hardware and software design and implementation.
Carpentry - Custom Finish and Furnature
R/C - Cars, Boats, Planes doesn't matter to me. I just want the big kids toys.

FNX
02-01-2007, 05:22 PM
In no particular order:

-Wing Chun
-Sport Cars (Tuning parties etc..)
-Watching Anime and misc japanese stuff (including Manga)
-Girlfriend
-Warcraft

Huehnerschaender
02-01-2007, 11:25 PM
In THIS order :)

- my kids
- my girlfriend
- world of warcraft
- I really would like to go to the fitness studio again (I did it for years), but unfortunately my disease doesn't let me to do so...

Ehm.... and of course... smoking, drinking, making party all night long :) :twisted: 8) :!: :idea:

Legolas
02-01-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm addicted to sex, so... :P I'm joking well, more or less :mrgreen:
My hobbies are:
-programming
-animes'n'comics
-playing bass guitar
-japanese culture

I don't consider my girlfriend a hobby, but I give to her all my spare time :queen:

Huehnerschaender
03-01-2007, 12:11 AM
It depends on how you define "hobby".

Personally, a hobby is the thing I do in my sparetime I like best. And spending time with my girlfriend and kids is one of those things, so I mention it when I am asked about my "hobbies" :)

And your first sentence was something about this strange thing called sex.... If this "can" be a hobby, then your girlfriend SHOULD be a hobby :)

Legolas
03-01-2007, 01:01 AM
It depends on how you define "hobby".

Personally, a hobby is the thing I do in my sparetime I like best. And spending time with my girlfriend and kids is one of those things, so I mention it when I am asked about my "hobbies" :)

I agree, but I consider the time I spend with my gf like the time I spend eating, or sleeping, because she's an important (maybe vital) part of my life. :oops: :wink:

And your first sentence was something about this strange thing called sex.... If this "can" be a hobby, then your girlfriend SHOULD be a hobby :)

Hey! That was only a joke! :mrgreen: