PDA

View Full Version : MS Paint (My First Animated Sprite).

Chesso
05-01-2007, 01:57 AM
I guess it's very basic looking and what not but it's the first sprite/animation thingo iv'e ever done from scratch (rather then re-using or modifying another) :P.

HERE:

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6168/playerhammeronetf4.png

And for the hell of it, I attempted to modify a basic bomberman sprite I was using for testing in my little game (it's the second row, the one I modified).

HERE:

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/5585/playeroneeditingoc5.png

:P

cairnswm
05-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Thats cool!

I dont think I've ever made an animated sprite :) - I have found a morph tool for making cool intro videos and things :)

For the second one - the one you modified - have you used The Gimp to bulk change colors - I find it very easy - you can select for example all the Blue on a sprite and then modify the color to red and it can keep the shading/color darkness of the original color to the new color.

Chesso
05-01-2007, 07:34 AM
You can sort of do that with MSPaint but it doesn't retain anything like similar colours and what not, just replaces all of the same colour with the colour you want.

I kind of bodged this one up due to the way the hammer swing should work. Basically the animation itself is quite still instead of a "swooshing" look, it looks likea retarded dancing hammer when I animated it in game.

Iv'e instead created my second animated sprite, which is basically going to be a fire punch (for smashing the blocks) and it seems to be working alot better.

HERE IT IS:

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6579/firepunchql9.png

Not the best, but because I'm using a small sprite (perhaps I may use a slightly larger original one later), I can't make the fire too big or it'd be more like a fire blast than a fire punch lol.

P.S. if anyone is wondering why it isn't directly attached to the player sprite itself, I use the fire punch as an extension and a seperate object, so the collision detection will also only fire off on the object and not based off the whole sprite.

WILL
05-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Color management in Paint is unfortunately very poor. But I think one of the fringe benefits of Paint is that it is really simple to use and has a really effective zoom/grid/thumbnail view options. So it's real decent for doing simple sprites.

GIMP on the other hand, I've dabbled with only a bit on Windows and more so when I had Linux on my system way back when. The only reason I would not play with it more is that it seems that the Windows port is really, really buggy.

Last couple of times, and versions, I could not save or choose to save without the darn thing from crashing. :x Has anyone else gotten this, or am I just 'special'? :P

Chesso
05-01-2007, 03:14 PM
lol, I haven't tried the Windows port in quite some time either, so I'm not sure.

There was actually nice, although oldish program created specifically for making game sprites (it was on an RPG Maker resource site that isn't up anymore).

I'm not sure if I still have it laying around somewhere, I might just have it on CD with some graphic resource.

I'll have a dig tomorrow and get it uploaded somewhere for others to try, if I remember correctly it has some nice grid options and (well basically a bit more advanced than mspaint, but not too advanced and worked well).

Which reminds me, I was going to uploaded what Iv'e done of my game so far before I head off to bed (it's 2:15 am and I gotta be up early to mow the front and back lawns, and damn is our back lawn hugeee!!!).

Huehnerschaender
05-01-2007, 03:16 PM
WILL, yes, you are special *lol* But I am not talking about the Gimp this time :)

Drawing sprites from scratch can be a pain. I could (I am a little more than moderated skilled in drawing :) ) but it would be too much effort to me. I rather use programs to do the job. For sprites like people or animals etc I would use Poser, 3DS Max etc (and I do so). Sure, it's no freeware, but the results are much more convincing to me.

But in your case it seems you are doing a retro like game with graphics to fit the retro style. In this case... hmm... don't know if I would draw them by hand or just downscale and retouche a rendered sprite.

Anyway, what you are doing looks funny :) I like modified bomberman :)

Greetings,
Dirk

Chesso
05-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I didn't exactly have any ideas I kind of just started changing stuff and 15 minutes later ended with a blue haired knight kind of dude with one of those moustache/goatie things lol.

WILL
05-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I used to play with RPG Maker myself. :) I even started making a game with it that turned into a Delphi project, that got abandonded as I realized that I was making an epic that would never be done.

The name of it... Mythica... Yup... same name... damn Microsoft! *shakes fist* :x

...oh and I came up with the name and game story back in 1995, I believe...

jasonf
05-01-2007, 03:39 PM
You're always Special Will ;):lol:

I've never really had any problems with the Windoze version of Gimp.. apart from it doesn't do a very good job of flood filling a background to a specific colour to be used as the transparent colour. Apart from that, it's great. The new one comes with some cool tools called Gimpressionist which can do some really funky things with your image.

I still use Paint though for basic stuff, although for any detailed drawing, I use Xara.