PDA

View Full Version : BLOCKBASH UPDATED (9th Of Jan 2007).

Chesso
05-01-2007, 03:29 PM
[UPDATE!!!!]

Just a game I started a few days ago when I decided to pick Delphi back up (aswell as UnDelphiX for that matter).

This is basically what I have done so far (it's been fun messing around with it), but there's still a lot to change, fix, add etc.

LINKAGE: (it's megaupload, rapidshare is full :shock: ).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ETIQMCTE

NOTE: Check the HELP part of the main menu for instructions (use the ENTER key on the main menu), SETTINGS currently is not in place.

When In-Game, use ESCAPE to go back to the menu if you like.

EDIT:

UPDATED AGAIN, please note that there are some obvious bugs that were not in the previous one, this are easily fixed but don't have the time right this second.

Let me know what you think!

WILL
05-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Edit your top post tomorrow with a screeny and I'll make it news. ;)

Huehnerschaender
05-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Just played it.... very cute :) :)

Will the screen remain this little sized?

Bigger maps! More action please! :)

jasonf
05-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Not bad :D
Cute little guy.

now then.. Where's the monsters? ;)

Chesso
05-01-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm hoping to have some baddies in there too eventually, but unsuprisingly, I think them with w/e AI they will have (will come somewhat last) lol.

I dunno, I kind of like the fixed size as it is, but it's quite possible to make it bigger with some minor internal and map file changes.

Oh and did you noticed, how we walks out one end and comes back in the other :P, the way I have that level setup actually gave me an idea, one I'm nto sure if I'll do or be able to (map sections, so he can walkthrough one end, and pop up another map with more objects).

I'm going to work on it more a bit later (and I'll have me some bourbon and coke :D), I was supposed to be doing the lawns but it's still damp (9:51am here) and I tryed to go through the middle section of the front yard, where for some odd reason the grass grows much much higher than anywhere else and the darn mower cut out and won't start up >_<.

JSoftware
05-01-2007, 11:41 PM
give me an access violation when i press enter over play :(

Chesso
05-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Ouch, that's not nice at all.

I have had such errors on the odd occasion in different places, it's kind of random which is odd.

The only thing I can think (For now I doubt it's anything to do with UnDelphiX) is the midi music.

Especially the one that plays on the menu screen, it seems to load up kinda slow and if you try stopping or basically cutting it out before it starts, I often get it whinging about an error at me for it.

Try giving it another go, but when on the menu screen, give the music a little time to load and start up and let me know if it keeps happening.

P.S. I'm about to start working on my pre level init and drawing functions, not sure whether I'll have the data in the main map file, or in a seperate but related named file, but it's basically to display user lives or information, the objective type for the level/map and how many of each if any type of blocks you need to collect.

I'm also hoping I can have some space decdated to a custom text message for the pre-level screen, just not sure how I will handle wrapping it inside the window lol.

chronozphere
06-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Very nice start ;)

And yeah... some monsters and powerups/items would definitly make it better. :)

I was missing the big 'Congrats You Won!!' screen.
When i smashed the blocks and took those items in the middle, suddenly the menu appeared and i didn't know whether i won or lose :?

JSoftware
06-01-2007, 10:52 AM
The av keeps comming.. The sound and everything loads up immidiately

Chesso
06-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Haha yeah sorry about that, Iv'e for the most part being concentrating on the actual in-game functionality and the kind of graphical look I want.

Iv'e already changed the main menu, help menu, menu arrow (although it looks bodgy a bit) and made the background a tiled image (like a grate/factory sort of flooring), there's 2 different I have at the moment.

Iv'e also done the Pre-Level screen that displays amount of lives (not sure whether this will actually be involved yet, but will see at a later stage), objective type, amount of collectibles and or breakables and some text the bottom telling the user to press ESC to proceed (might change this to ENTER for proceeding things to avoid confusion for some, ESC is usually meant for closing something or going back, not opening or going forward :P).

And now that you mention it, I will also add an After-Level screen (it'll say congratulations and what not and maybe I'll implement something to keep track of how long the player was in the level and display how long it took to complete it and such).

P.S.

If anyone knows how I can make, for example a plain anti-aliased arrow in photoshop (I use the custom shape tool) and add some nice effects to it without borking the transparency, I would greatly appreciate it.

To explain my problem in more detail:

I create an arrow (anti-aliased so it's smooth and not edgy using the custom shape tool) in photoshop, I then add effects or rather some options such as bevels and such.

But the problem is (for example shadowing) it's based off of the background, so any shading becomes relavent to the background colour (let's say I'm using Fuschia as I normally do as the transparent background), any shadowing,shading sort of stuff ends up as a vairant of Fuschia.

Which looks fine on a fuschia background, however when I remove that single fucshia colour for transparency, the arrow looks really borked up and not properly transparent.

The major thing is that JPEG and BMP do not support transparency, and of course using TImageList or w/e I can't load up GIF's or PNG's at this point as far as I know, so I can't save it natively transparent, so it ends up borked.

I hope someone understand what I mean lol.

Chesso
06-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Sorry for the double post, this is for JSoftware (the message must have been posted as I was posting mine lol and my previous one is large enough, i'd rather do this then create possible confusion).

Anyway, I really don't know what to say, I can't think if anything off the top of my head that would cause this to happen every single time.

Could you explain at exactly what point this Access Violation occurs (and what you did to get to this point). So then I can take a look at what should be happening at that point and see if I can find the problem.

If I can't find anything immediate, I will try to disable some things bit by bit and I'll PM you a link to download it, and whenever you have the time, try it out and let me know what happens.

Hopefully then I can trace this problem, even though it doesn't seem to occur to me or some others :).

EDIT:

God my posts are getting long..... oh btw if I have time and am satisfied I'll post an updated version some time tonight (currently 10pm), could end up being early in the morning for me, or sometime tomorrow.

JSoftware
06-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Nothing special. I press escape at the intro screen. The second I press enter when having the Play option selected an access violation will pop up. I have tried having it stand there playing music for 5 minutes and then pressing enter with the same result.

Pressing help works. Nothing happens when you press enter on settings but if i have tried to play then on quit I'll get another av. If i don't try to play and quit with the exit option no av will occur

Chesso
06-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Hmmm strange.

Well first thing, (got a bit going on with computer hardware going a bit erk atm) but when I get a chance I'll disable any music running at that point and get it uploaded and see if that changes anything, hopefully narrow it down and then see what can be done to fix it.

Traveler
06-01-2007, 12:35 PM
It worked for me, without any errors.

About the arrow. AFAIK ony tga or png supports transparency in the way you want it in your game. However, those formats arent supported in DelphiX.

The easiest solution is to use a matching background color when creating the graphics or, when no matching color can be found because there are a lot of different ones used, dont use antialiasing.
You could in that event, add a subtile horizontal motion to the arrow, so the aliasing is less visible.

Chesso
06-01-2007, 12:41 PM
It's actually not the anti-aliasing that seems to be the problem, it's tthe shadowing and such I tried to add, or using that colour thing that brightens around the edges of the text.

Chesso
07-01-2007, 04:39 AM
UPDATED! (7th Jan 07).

:).

Chesso
09-01-2007, 12:34 PM
UPDATED AGAIN! (9th Of Jan 2007).

:)