PDA

View Full Version : Project Euler

Relfos
07-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Anyone knows about Project Euler?
Its a website that gives you logical and math challenges to solve using any programming language you want. There's a score ladder, and can view scores by language and country, along with other stuff.
I managed to solve 48 problems, all using Delphi, and I'm ranked 2¬? in my country, and 17¬? in Delphi users 8)
If you are smart and have nothing better to do, try this :wink:
http://projecteuler.net

JernejL
07-01-2007, 10:42 PM
nice, telling about the project and not giving a link...

Relfos
07-01-2007, 11:01 PM
[quote="Delfi"]nice, telling about the project and not giving a ]
Oops, I forgot it :lol:
http://projecteuler.net

cragwolf
08-01-2007, 05:50 AM
Thanks for letting us know about this interesting project. :thumbup:

tanffn
08-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the link, it looks like a great project! I already registered, and as soon as I’ll have time... 8)

dmantione
08-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Hmmm... Another set of confused people who don't know the difference between Delphi and Pascal. I'll ask them to correct that.

WILL
08-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Atta' boy Dany! Get 'em! ;) (WILL's personal pet peeve: people calling Delphi a language)

JernejL
08-01-2007, 04:16 PM
(WILL's personal pet peeve: people calling Delphi a language)

does that include borland / inprise / newdevco / codegear? :P

WILL
08-01-2007, 04:18 PM
I can't put CodeGear into the mix just yet, but Inprise and Borland are on my Most Frustrating List. :P

CG has actually done alright in my eyes, I'm hoping for sweeping changes to the way they do business soon. With the severing of Borland, *crosses fingers* that'll become a reality.

JSoftware
08-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Cool link. solved 5 of them with javascript( :shock: ) on some of my mates comp during 4 school classes today :lol:

Well finally I've returned home to my own computer which contains delphi so I'll take on the rest now. just finished chucking though all the numbers for problem 5 :wink:

dmantione
08-01-2007, 06:59 PM
You don't need number crunching for no 5, use the factor command.

JSoftware
08-01-2007, 07:52 PM
I figured afterwards :oops:

dmantione
08-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Atta' boy Dany! Get 'em! ;) (WILL's personal pet peeve: people calling Delphi a language)

They added Pascal instead of renaming Delphi. I think I failed, because now it contributes even more to the myth that Delphi and Pascal are somehow different languages. :evil:

Anyway, one Pascal user and counting :)

WILL
08-01-2007, 10:13 PM
I know... lets have everyone at PGD email him and set it straight! :P

If that fails... you can get your friends and I'll get my friends and we'll get him. ;)

tanffn
09-01-2007, 09:16 AM
I actually prefer they will call it Delphi and not Pascal. As “Pascal is dead”, people associate Pascal with TP6 and below, the DOS era, the XTs, the...
Delphi is new, true Delphi isn’t a language and its the same as calling C++ VS but it represent the new.
Pascal and Delphi/”Object Pascal” is the same as C and C++, there should be a distinction.

Relfos
09-01-2007, 10:05 AM
I agree with tanffn, there should be a distinction between the old Pascal and the new Delphi/Object Pascal

dmantione
09-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Calling Pascal Delphi has everything to do with marketing and not with language evolution. If people perceive the language as Delphi, they will of course only buy Delphi to code in it. It is pure revisionism by Borland; the "Delphi language" is nothing else than Apple's Object Pascal proposal.

Further, following your reasoning, you don't do object oriented programming in such a contest, but restrict yourself to basic procedural programming. So, talking about dialects: no Object Pascal, but UCSD styled code, with perhaps one or two modern features.

If "Pascal" is assiciated with the past this is again 100% the result of Borland marketing strategy. IMO in their disadvantage, since any new programmer will start with basic Pascal programs and think he is learning old crap. Both C and Pascal are over 35 years old. Factually, I'd say Pascal has gotten much more modern than C/C++. If people perceive the opposite, it is pure a matter of wrong marketing.