PDA

View Full Version : Articles to include in Magazine

cairnswm
21-04-2003, 09:55 AM
Hi All

The South African Game Development community (www.sagamedev.co.za) have organised to include a lot of information about creating games in one of our local magazines (New Age Gaming www.prophecy.co.za). I have agreed to get a lot of information together with regard to Delphi Game Development.

What I would like to do is include as many tutorials as I can get together - specifically those by TheLion and AliMonster with regard to DelphiX. I need:
1. Your permission to use your articles in either hard copy format or included on a disk with the magazine.
2. Information regarding your copyright to the tutorial as well as how you would like it signed (Alistar Keys or Alimonster) and if you want your email address included - possibly a lot of mail could be generated.
3. Other usefull sites (Traveller's for eg) with information about game creation with Delphi.
4. Someone to fix up my Tutorials because even I dont like the way they have been written :)

I need this all by Friday as I need a basic outline to the magazine by Early next week. We hope that the July edition of the magazine will have all this information on it.

Please drop me an email william.cairns@eskom.co.za if you would rather not post the details on this site.

With regard to the other Delphi Engines : JDS, PowerDraw etc I'd like to include them on the disk but I dont have experience with them so I'll be punting DelphiX a lot harder than them.

Cheers

TheLion
22-04-2003, 11:59 AM
:oops: honored :oops:

I'll give you my permission to publish / include my tutorial with that article, however I'll send you a copy of the page on my website and a word document, where I have revised the copyright information and the contact part. The URL to my website has changed and stuff like that... :)

It should be signed with my real name and Lion Productions. In case you don't know my real name is Armand Postma. You may also combine my name and nickname like this : Armand "TheLion" Postma.

Do you need only the DXDraw tutorial or do you also want the canvas tutorial?

I also have one minor request, if my article gets printed in the magazine itself, then it would be cool to either get a copy of the magazine or a scan of the pages! :)

cairnswm
22-04-2003, 02:55 PM
I think both Tutorials would be best.

Not sure I can promise a copy of the magazine. Unless I bought it myself and sent it to you but postage would be too expensive.

My plan currently is to create everytrhing as if it were only going to be on a CD with directories for the various Tutorials, Graphics Engines etc. I'll write a short (600-1000 word) introduction to writing games in Delphi. Each totorial will be mentioned with additional information referenced on the CD. If I have time I'll put it all in a ZIP file on my website and everyone can access the information and let me know what they think.

TheLion
22-04-2003, 08:25 PM
Okay I'll prepare my Canvas tutorial tomorrow for you and then send both tutorials plus the files that come with them to you by e-mail as a package! :)

The magazine isn't a problem, I thought you might buy it for yourself anyway or something like that and you maybe could send me a scan over e-mail or something, but if you don't buy it, then it's no problem! :) It's no demand, just a request! ;)

Traveler
23-04-2003, 09:39 AM
I'd be honored having my website mentioned. Anything else you'd like to see from me?

cairnswm
23-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Should I include your tutorials on the CD or just links to them?

What about example games that have been done in Delphi? I should probably include a few.

Traveler
23-04-2003, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure if my tutorials are good enough for publication. They're pretty long and probably need a grammar/spelling check :(
A link to my website is good enough for me.

The same may apply for my games, Space Attack has quite a few spelling/grammer errors, and Pop the Balloon is not yet finished.
I could complete it though, not sure how much time I have left.
Is there a deadline?

cairnswm
24-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Deadline - Not sure - probably mid may to have everything ready.

I dont see any reason why a game needs to be complete to be included. Half finished games also show the abilities.

I'm busy writting a new Tiled game just for the magazine. Basically an up-shooter. I'll let everyone see soon.

Demo1 - Tiling, Scrolling, placing the character (Dome)
Demo2 - Pick Ups, Character Animations, Map Flipping
Demo3 - Basic Monsters
Demo4 - Map Editor

Bobby
24-04-2003, 08:01 AM
Hi, my omega components are nearing completion, you can mention them if you want to. They will be used just like DelphiX except for the fact that I use DirectX8 so the rendering speed is increased a ton. Also you can have alphablended sprites and all that good stuff. Currently my team and I are working on a couple more features before our next release. It might be done before your deadline though. We also are working on a map editor that is nearing completion. You can check them out here

http://66.139.78.148/ds/forums/index.php
Under the updates/news for the omega forum.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bobby
bobbaker92@mchsi.com

cairnswm
24-04-2003, 09:05 AM
Hi Bobby

I'd like to include whatever your latest version is on the CD. (Lots of Kids wont have internet access). I'd also like to include tutorials if I can.

My plan is to have something like the following
\Delphi
\..\DelphiX
\..\..\Components
\..\..\Tutorials
\..\..\..\Tiles
\..\..\..\Templates
\..\..\..\<Other>
\..\..\Demos
\..\Omega
\..\..\Components
etc

If you could get something like that ready for me for Omega it would be great.

Bobby
24-04-2003, 07:31 PM
Yup, I will get everything ready.

Bobby

savage
25-04-2003, 11:59 PM
Doh!! I missed the deadline. If I had seen this earlier I would have asked you to include JEDI-SDL ( http://www.sf.net/projects/jedi-sdl ) for cross-platform game development using Delphi and Kylix.

Ah well maybe next time.

Hi All

The South African Game Development community (www.sagamedev.co.za) have organised to include a lot of information about creating games in one of our local magazines (New Age Gaming www.prophecy.co.za). I have agreed to get a lot of information together with regard to Delphi Game Development.

What I would like to do is include as many tutorials as I can get together - specifically those by TheLion and AliMonster with regard to DelphiX. I need:
1. Your permission to use your articles in either hard copy format or included on a disk with the magazine.
2. Information regarding your copyright to the tutorial as well as how you would like it signed (Alistar Keys or Alimonster) and if you want your email address included - possibly a lot of mail could be generated.
3. Other usefull sites (Traveller's for eg) with information about game creation with Delphi.
4. Someone to fix up my Tutorials because even I dont like the way they have been written :)

I need this all by Friday as I need a basic outline to the magazine by Early next week. We hope that the July edition of the magazine will have all this information on it.

Please drop me an email william.cairns@eskom.co.za if you would rather not post the details on this site.

With regard to the other Delphi Engines : JDS, PowerDraw etc I'd like to include them on the disk but I dont have experience with them so I'll be punting DelphiX a lot harder than them.

Cheers

cairnswm
28-04-2003, 05:50 AM
Still time - I only have the basic outline so far and I can add things quite easily.

savage
28-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Still time - I only have the basic outline so far and I can add things quite easily.

if you use this zip file ...
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jedi-sdl/JEDI-SDLv0.5.zip?download

If should get your users off to a good start.

Let me know if it makes the cut.

Thanks,