PDA

View Full Version : Multiplexity: Fairy Fantasy

cairnswm
06-02-2007, 05:02 AM
As always for these contests I like publishing my progress. Good or bad I dont like working on stuff nobody knows about.

So here is version 0 of my design document:
http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/files/FairyFantasy-Design.doc

Fairy Fantasy is an RTS/Puzzle combination designed for Kids to play and learn how the controls work in an RTS game while solving various puzzles.

The RTs elements will most likely exclude any Tech Tree and probably also exclude buildings. So the RTS aspect is concentrated on the control scheme while the puzzle elements will be draw from many different games.

Ñuño Martínez
06-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Thank you. I'm working in my own game design document and I have some doubts about hoy to do it. I think I'll write a log too, can I? . :wink:

WILL
06-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah Nuno go ahead. :) Thats what 'Your Projects' is all about. Make a new thread and whenever you feel like adding something new, add a post to it. If you win an award or the top 5 we'll make it into an announcement and keep it there for the run of the competition. Win an award of the top 5 and we'll keep it for longer(half a year or so). Win the top 3 and we'll keep you there all year long, like TANX, .S.C.A.G. and Earth Under Fire. :)

Interesting concept William. I'm really curious as to how these 'puzzles' will fit in. Also don't forget to submit your docs through the competition system or you won't get the points. After last year, it would be a shame if you forgot. :(

BTW, for all that read this, William was 2nd running for Best On Time last year. :thumbup:

cairnswm
07-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Final version of the design Doc has been loaded to my site:
http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/files/fairyfantasy-design.doc

I have tried to load it to the competition site - but once I pressed load I only see my Verne-X info from the last compo....

Huehnerschaender
07-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Uploading my draft version went well to me...

strange....

pstudio
07-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Something similar happended to me. I wanted to upload my doc, but when i logged in it said welcom to PDG Big Boss competition 2006 :?

WILL
07-02-2007, 03:06 PM
You did re-register for this year's competition, right?

Perhaps it's just finding the older one instead of the more current login/password. Give me a few hours to find and fix the bug. I'm sure it's something I left out then and am only seeing in hindsight.

EDIT: Question; Can either of you guys remember if you used the same email/password combination as last year?

pstudio
07-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I've used the same email/passwarod as last year, though I didn't get to make an entry.

WILL
07-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Ok I need you guys to both try again.

William please insure you're using the same email address you registered with THIS year. If that doesn't work then try flushing your cookies.

pstudio
07-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Great. It works now :D

WILL
07-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Excellent! :)

I changed the SQL string to sort descending from the highest id rather than the lowest ascending or even undefined order. So now if you use the same email/password combination in the future competitions it'll work just fine.

cairnswm
08-02-2007, 05:34 AM
Sorry WILL - must have registered with my work email - force of habit I suppose :(

cairnswm
08-02-2007, 11:34 AM
I went digging in some very old backups (Dated 2003\01\31) and found this image:

http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/files/fairyfantasyold.jpg

This was as far as the original Fairy Fantasy got. :)

WILL
08-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Sorry WILL - must have registered with my work email - force of habit I suppose :(

*Whew!* Ok I'm glad it works now. You had me in a little panic for a bit there. :)

Anymore problems let me know!

WILL
23-04-2007, 08:03 PM
So how goes the game's development William? Hope you are still with us. ;)

cairnswm
24-04-2007, 06:38 PM
No game dev stuff happening at the moment - too much time spent running - Doing a 180km staged Cycle/Run/Paddle/Swim race this weekend and only 53 days to the Comrades marathon - mostly tooooo tired for game dev.

Also my work has cancelled access to PGD so can only access the site at night.

WILL
24-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Hmm... think you can use a stylus while you run? ;)

cairnswm
24-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Possibly for the first 30kms - after that my body shuts down and it takes all my effort to just keep going :)

I'm quite terrified of the 89kms of the comrades - but its a dream I've had for about 30years now - so I have to just go and do it :)

WILL
24-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I wasn't that serious about the PDA anyhow. ;) Mind you.... :scratch:

I wish you luck man. I know I'm not in the kind of shape to do what you are doing right now. Plus those marathons take some pretty solid guts so good on you. Kick some butt for us! ;)