PDA

View Full Version : starting out at delphi (lazarus)

hateshinai
06-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Im studying PASCAL at a programming school. (we're starting graph) But I'm very interested into delphi, though after Pascal the concept is hard to grasp. Do you guys know any tutorial that explains the differences between delphi and pascal and describes the basics?

And yes I searched... >_>

Anyways, it all started when I wanted to make a game. I saw everyone was using jedi-sdl. But I couldn't find any jedi-sdl basics tutorial too...

Thanks, hateshinai

dmantione
06-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Delphi is the compiler and development environment, Pascal the language. In short Delphi has a nice GUI designer where you can click the GUI of your application together. The language used is still just Pascal.

dmantione
06-02-2007, 09:57 PM
For a JEDI-SDL tutorial: there are a few examples shipped with JEDI-SDL. Did you take a look at them?

hateshinai
06-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Yes, the basics I mean is how to add the windows stuff together with the pascal commands.

Thanks dimantione, I never downloaded jedi-sdl. Now I surely will!

dmantione
06-02-2007, 10:49 PM
If you add an event for a component (for example a click event), the IDE adds a method that will be called when the user clicks on a component. You can write Pascal code in this method.

The form you are designing is (seen from the Pascal side) a class. You can access all its methods are properties. To understand this you must have a bit of knownledge of object oriented programming. I'm not sure wether you have had that already at school.

hateshinai
07-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Nope, I haven't. This cleared things out! :D But I read a little about it and I'll try to really understand what OOP means while learning delphi. Thanks for the help!