PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating which engine to use...

superhausi
26-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Hi.
I'm currently evaluating which engine I should use for my next project. I've used TV3D (http://www.truevision3d.com/) until now, but the development of TV3D is very slow and I'm missing some features...
Now I wanted to hear your opinion about A3D about the following things:
- Speed
- Outdoor features (the game is a RTS game, so I need a good and fast Outdoor engine)
- Models (support for animation blending? If not I'll maybe implement it...)
- Is this engine now D3D, OGL or both? The unit names say that it is OGL but why do you need DelphiX?
- Development speed?
- Larger projects using this engine?

I already had a look at some of the demos (Heightmap, Water-FX and P3D), and it looks very impressive, but I don't want to invest 3-4 weeks working on this engine, if it won't survive for at least 1 year... :/ (already had that and it's very annoying).

I've got another question: The Engine is published under GPL. But GPL says, that all changes must be open source. Does that mean, that I can't develope a game without giving it open source or is this only for the core engine? What about sharing under LGPL (the difference is, that you only need to share changes to the engine itself)?

I hope to get some answers...

Thanks in advance, superhausi

DarkSSJ
29-04-2003, 05:48 AM
I'd like an answer :lol:
Thanks

superhausi
29-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Me too. But i don't know why... ;)
I'm currently continuing the work on my own engine and if I'd know something more about this engine, I could propably stop development on my own engine...

andygfx
30-04-2003, 09:33 PM
Sorry boys, A3D GnGine 2003 is at begin ...