View Full Version : Questions about S2DL

IlovePascal
20-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Hello, this is about Cairn's S2DL.
When I tried running the demo HelloWorld, Lazarus came with the message

Debugger error
Ooops, the debugger entered the error state
Save your work now!
Hit Stop, and hope the best, we're pulling the plug.
Why does that happen?

Second time, instead of the above I got:

Project raised exception class 'External: SIGSEGV'.

Then I ran it with Dev-Pascal, it worked alright after I found out it needed Font3.png but there was no such file in the Images directory!

So in a 2D game, I managed to make it work, but here is where Im stuck now:
How do I implement that into a 3D game? You seem to have shortened it down so much that you even create the OpenGL window in one of those units...so what if I already initialize my own?

cairnswm
21-02-2007, 05:06 AM
(Please put S2DL questions in the SDL forum - S2DL is indirectly part of JEDI-SDL)

S2DL is 2D only :)

I have been thinking about the auto creation of some of the objects. While this is perfect for my own requirements I can see that it is less than optimal for some other people. I am considering moving all the auto creation itens into an S2DLAutoCreate unit allowing people to "add in" S2DL into their own SDL/OpenGL projects.

Would that help?

IlovePascal
21-02-2007, 05:39 AM

Oh I see. Unfortunately, I'm being more ambitious with this competition and trying my first 3D game :)

I have been thinking about the auto creation of some of the objects. While this is perfect for my own requirements I can see that it is less than optimal for some other people. I am considering moving all the auto creation itens into an S2DLAutoCreate unit allowing people to "add in" S2DL into their own SDL/OpenGL projects.

Would that help?
Yes I do believe it would help, both for flexibility and to let people understand what is going on. For example, if you had procedures like S2DLCreateWindow, S2DLInitOpenGL, etc, it would still be very simple, and at the same time it allows ppl to know what they're doing. :wink:

cairnswm
21-02-2007, 05:45 AM

Oh I see. Unfortunately, I'm being more ambitious with this competition and trying my first 3D game :)

Somehow I thought that Simple 2D Libraries gave it away :)

IlovePascal
21-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Somehow I thought that Simple 2D Libraries gave it away :)

Well then I wonder why you told me to use that when I was asking about how to draw text in my 3D game...

Of course you might say you didn't know it was 3D, etc, but then I say all the questions I've asked on this forum since like last year were about learning to use OpenGL so that I could do 3D stuff. If you reply 'how could I know', well, you're right, sorry.

What I thought when you offered it was that because text is 2D, it would be possible to use it in my 3D game, regardless of what else I was doing in it...

savage
21-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Moved to JEDI-SDL.

cairnswm
21-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Well then I wonder why you told me to use that when I was asking about how to draw text in my 3D game...

What I ment in that post was that there was an example of how to implement them inside my S2DL libraries. Not that you should be using them as is.

I am considering removing the auto create side of things so that it is easier to reuse in othe rprojects like what you are trying now.