PDA

View Full Version : User validation broken?

Robert Kosek
27-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Lifepower brought this to my notice, as he changed his email address and got a warning that the administrators would have to reapprove his account. Since then he hasn't been able to login. It isn't a lost password, because he gets the message that his account is inactive.

Now, I noticed that if you sort the member list by the latest joined, that is in descending order, that almost none have posted since about Feb 15th. See for yourself! (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/memberlist.php?order=DESC)

If the registrations and email address changes have been set to administration validation, then someone needs to get on this, as there seems to be quite a queue accumulating! :shock:

Traveler
27-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks for mentioning this.
I've been meaning to send WILL a message about this issue, actullay.
When the administrator validation was first set, the amount of new users was not that high. Unfortunately with roughly 25 new users on a daily basis, this is not really the case anymore. Tbh it's beginning to get a bit annoying, going through the list of fake accounts filtering out the accasional fair one.

In any case, I've reactivated lifepower's account, so he should be able to login again.

WILL
27-02-2007, 09:45 PM
If you want the job of validating all the legit users from the spammers/hackers it's yours. :)

As for any major changes to the phpBB code, I won't be the one doing it as I'm done with doing any major coding on the PGD site. As a matter of fact, after the PGD Annual is over and my final remaining tasks are done, I'll be around only to help here and there with small things. My status as Manager at PGD is in it's final year as I just don't have the time.

LP
27-02-2007, 09:53 PM
You could enable e-mail validation and add some captchas in the registration to avoid having to moderate all users.

We had daily spam posts on Afterwarp but after installing a plugin to show a random captcha question (e.g. "you have 4 beers, you gave 1 to both of your friends, how many are left?") there was no a single spam post since then! :P Before that, the other 3 mods and I have been banning at least one spammer/day; I've been prunning about 100 members with failed e-mail activation weekly. :?

Robert Kosek
27-02-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm not interested in moderating PGD, seriously. :D I do too much already, and half-administrate one site already (they've already offered me the role of technical admin, but I turned them down). I don't have the time either.

You all might look into migrating into SMF (http://www.simplemachines.org/), as I consider phpBB the very last option when you need a forum (for many reasons).

savage
01-03-2007, 12:49 PM
We get appoximately 15-20 spammers per day ( sometimes more ).

I've just added another spam criteria to the excellent clean up utility that WILL wrote, which got rid or 814 zero post accounts.

Now what's left to do is to check the last few accounts and to activate them.