PDA

View Full Version : Passing The Torch

WILL
27-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey everybody!

Yup, it's true... I'm hanging up my Pascal crown. ;)

After 4+ years of doing everything that I do with PGD... It's time for me to move on to do my own thing. I've learn much from building and running the now biggest Pascal game programming community on the net. :thumbup: It definitely has been a great run, but alas, all good things come to an end.

I'll be around handling some things still, just not on the same scale as once was. And once the PGD Annual is done I'll have officially completed my final duties and goals that I wanted to accomplish here.

My greatest hope is that others will continue their efforts in making the Pascal and Object Pascal languages and all of the development tools that support these great languages ever more popular and push them into the mainstream as they used to be and will be again.

That said Dom is going to need a new 'partner' (or some partners) as it where to help him with PGD. A new 'me' as it were... (:lol: good luck! ;))

I may have a hand in helping out with that if I can. PGD is a larger community now and it is gaining popularity, especially during events like the 'PGD Annual' competitions. More help is required to help grow and maintain it's increased visitors and site members.

New and existing tools like Free Pascal, Lazarus - Game Developers Edition and Chrome are opening opportunities for new platforms and mediums for making games using Object Pascal. Such ongoings need to be researched and made popular by way of news items, reviews and articles to get others interested.

This stuff is not easy to do on your own. We are sort of pioneers for future generations of programmers who will either take up these projects or pass them buy. So we have to help each other out and work together if we want there to be something left to pass on.

This has always been my vision of PGD the community.

If there continues to be others that are willing to help build on top of what we have done here, I can see PGD lasting for years to come. :)

cragwolf
28-02-2007, 03:20 AM
Thanks for everything and good luck with your future endeavours.

Huehnerschaender
28-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Hey Jason!

Sorry to hear that the community looses one of their "heads". But I am glad that the community had this head for some very nice years.

I thank you very much for all you have done here. I know that there has been much enthusiasm and a lot of work in this.

May you find a worthful successor...

Thanks again and the best of luck to your future plans.

Dirk

bigsofty
28-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Thank you and good luck! :)

alexione
28-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for everything you did, and wish you all the best!

Robert Kosek
28-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Don't be a stranger WILL. ;) I wish you the best, of course, but it is always a sobering thing to see an administrator step down and pass the torch onwards.

savage
28-02-2007, 05:36 PM
I would also like to thank WILL for his tireless dedication to PGD and the Pascal gaming community! A lot of stuff you see before you would not be possible without WILL's energy! Even this year's competition has been largely handled by WILL. He is an asset to any team!

Thanks again and we hope to see some of your game projects featured on the news page.

czar
28-02-2007, 06:48 PM
You guys all do a wicked job on PGD. I hope this is able to continue even with you, Will, not quite as involved as you have been.

All the best...

WILL
28-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys! :)

I'm glad to have had an impact.

cairnswm
01-03-2007, 07:35 AM
I've known for a while that you would be stepping down, but its still sad to see it actually happening.

I hope this means you will have more time to make games for us :)

Nitrogen
01-03-2007, 12:23 PM
So long and thanks for all the fish!

3_of_8
01-03-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm have not been a member of PGD for very long so far, but I'd say there's nothing more to say. And nothing better to say than a H2G2-quote.

dmantione
01-03-2007, 06:05 PM
I really have the idea that the Pascal world has become larger due to PGD. So, many thanks for your work, efforts, and enthousiasm!

Traveler
01-03-2007, 07:24 PM
We've worked quite a while together on the site and its always been a pleasure. PGD would probably not be in this fine state if it weren't for you. As for your successor, we've seen many staff members come and go, so in that regard I think someone is bount to step forward and continue to pull the wagon.

From some of the replies, I get the impression that some people think that you're completely leaving us, but I don't think that is the case (or at least I hope it isn't ).

In any case, I too wish you luck in your new endeavours. Be sure to let us know what you're working on every now and then. I'm sure at least a couple of us are interested. :D

NecroDOME
04-03-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm a member for some time and I really saw PGD growing. You did a great job! sad to hear that your going to step off :( . Good luck with your future plans!!

Legolas
05-03-2007, 03:49 PM
OMG, I had an ugly flu so I haven't read this news... I hope we'll go on seeing your posts here, Jason :cry:

wodzu
13-03-2007, 08:58 PM
I am not often posting here because I always forgot my pasword when I try to write something :D but I am always a silent observer. Thank you for the great job which you did with the community.