PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION : Not working entries for Stage 2

Sascha Willems
04-03-2007, 01:47 PM
I just have finished scoring stage 2 and except for two entries all were working on my system. I dunno how I should handle those two entries and I don't like the idea of just giving them zero points, so I hope Will and Dom don't disagree with my idea of telling those people and giving them the possibility to fix them till this evening (I'd say till 24:00 GMT+1, as that's my time zone).

Grudzio :
I get a message that says it can't find the entry point for the function "SDL_GetKeyRepeat" in SDL.dll. Therefore the game wont start.

Infinite-Space :
The same problem that I mentioned on the forums lately. I still get the "This application has encountered a problem.." dialog when I want to start the shoot'em'up.

savage
04-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Note : any new submission by entrants will be tagged as submissions for the next stage. And will require manual intervention ( ie WILL or I messing around with the back-end ) to for it to be available for this stage.

3_of_8
04-03-2007, 07:25 PM
I feel a little impatient, expecting the results. I don't want to hurry you, but when will the scores be published?

WILL
04-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Well imo this falls to stability. All teams should have done extensive testing in 'out of the development environment' runs prior to the deadline. Everyone had a whole month and knew that this was the deadline coming up so...

It's hardline, but it's the way I ran it last year. And I feel that doing it any other way this year would only work to cheapen the concept of the deadline system in place. :?

Sascha Willems
04-03-2007, 07:54 PM
OK, WILL I'll stick to your and Doms sayings since you made the contest rules. So I'll judge those two right now, at least they'll get scores for the readmes.

Sascha Willems
04-03-2007, 08:14 PM
OK, so I judged the outstanding entries and therefore my judging for stage 2 is finished.

Huehnerschaender
04-03-2007, 09:15 PM
................. which is more than FAST!! :)

3_of_8
04-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Indeed.

I suppose I will be able to see my score when all judges have finished?

AthenaOfDelphi
04-03-2007, 09:27 PM
I've also finished my judging for Stage 2.

Like Sascha, I experienced problems with Grudzio's entry refusing to run, but I had more success with InfiniteSpaceOnline's entry.

technomage
04-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Infinite-Space :
The same problem that I mentioned on the forums lately. I still get the "This application has encountered a problem.." dialog when I want to start the shoot'em'up.

I can't replicate that on any of the machines I have here (I have 3) I even tried to setup the decimal sepeartor differently (changed to a , from a .) and the new version still worked...

Never mind, as we say @ work, if you can't replicate it .. you can't fix it... :cry:

Thanks for trying though. :)

3_of_8
04-03-2007, 10:26 PM
One thing I could imagine is relative file pathes: If you load a texture or something like that from a relative file path and the work directory is not the program directory (for example if you run it by a shortcut), you can get a very annoying crash.

Or perhaps if you try to do something with an OpenGL extension which is not supported and you do not check if it is supported, you can also get a crash when pointers are involved.

technomage
05-03-2007, 12:11 AM
If a file is not found that will appear in the log file the game creates, not sure entry exists. Also I don't use any opengl extensions, just basic open gl. I don't even use multi texturing at the moment.

I guess my entry just doesn't work under Sascha's setup. I have tested it under German Regional settings since the decimal seperator issue was raised, and it worked. So it must be something else... never mind.

BTW - Judges / Will / Dom, not wanting to do my self out of any points but I was under the impression that you had to get all of the goals for each Stage to get any points for thast Stage (all of nothing).

Sascha Willems
05-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Well, it was sad to not give you all points, but at least you scored partly in this stage.

And as for the error : After taking a look at the logs it was something different than the last time. If it now crashes I have to kill it with the task manager and the last line in the log is this one :

<LogEvent><Type>Warning</Type><TimeIndex>01:20:25</TimeIndex><Location>GameState.Render</Location><LineNumber>0</LineNumber><Message>Error</Message></LogEvent>

Maybe this will help you locating the problem.

AthenaOfDelphi
05-03-2007, 12:21 AM
BTW - Judges / Will / Dom, not wanting to do my self out of any points but I was under the impression that you had to get all of the goals for each Stage to get any points for thast Stage (all of nothing).

Thats certainly not my understanding (and certainly thats not how I've scored). Each goal has a number of points attached. We can allocate the points for each goal based on whether it is met or not. Thus making the stage score. The first stage was all or nothing because it only had a single goal.

grudzio
05-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Sascha and Athena: Thanks for pointing out the problem. I have included the wrong version of sdl.dll in my entry :oops: and it caused the crash.

3_of_8
06-03-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm wondering about how long it will take to publish the scores. I think 2 of 3 judges have already finished judging, I suppose it's all up to the 3rd one now?

WILL
06-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Yup, Alexey is away on a business trip so that is slowing him down.

But the scores should be available soon. My early predictions were more like 2 weeks, so perhaps half that from how the judges are working at it this year.

Traveler
06-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Give them some time. :)
Surely, you dont want them to rush the job?

I expect that with each stage the time for them to judge a game will increase greatly because of added features and content. Given the current amount of entries, I would be very surprised if, after stage three, the results are known within two weeks time.

3_of_8
06-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Sorry, but I'm really impatient. :lol: