PDA

View Full Version : 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development

savage
07-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Is this book ( 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development ) any good? It seems to get fairly good reviews, but I really need something to take me back to the basics of 3D graphics. Shamefull I know, but at least I admit it :).

cairnswm
07-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Sounds like the same reason I dont do 3D games. :(

AthenaOfDelphi
07-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I got that at Christmas and I'm finding it quite a good read. I can't compare it to much else really, but its helped me get a handle on some of the stuff that was cooking my neurons.

Edit:-

I should add that up until I started reading it, I'd never done any 3D maths at all mainly because I couldn't remember any of the stuff I learned 10+ years ago regarding vectors and matrices, but I've been able to get a basic grasp of that sort of stuff with the book.

technomage
07-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Got it..

Reading it...

good book :D

chronozphere
07-03-2007, 07:24 PM
I've downloaded a PDF (with P2P software) because i wanted to check it out myself. And i must admit, it's a very nice book.
It covers cartesian coordinate systems, vectors, matrices and some specific '3d graphic issues' like meshes, triangle strips/lists/fans and an introduction to visibility determination.

I only missed info about collision detection. Determining intersections between spheres, lines, planes AABB's, OBB's etc..
Every good 3d game needs these things so i think this should be included. :)

This book is especially good if you want to know things about matrices and quaternions. The quaternion math is quite heavy and i don't understand it yet. I just desperatly need info about complex numbers (something i'll not learn at school this year :( ).

I also consider buying this book because reading it from acrobat reader just sucks ;)

savage
07-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Wow, this is the same sort of reaction I saw over on Amazon. I've ordered the book. Should be here next week.

I will have to find the time to incorporate the books section we used to have on DelphiGamer.

savage
07-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Sounds like the same reason I dont do 3D games. :(

I've started the foray into 3D several times and can get basic demos going, but once I get past that, they started losing me and I always took a step back. I am determined to make a more concerted effort to get to grips with it by starting with basic principals. Hey we could learn it together :).

Sly
07-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I've been a lead programmer on several 3D console titles, and I still don't have a full grasp on 3D mathematics. That's what I have a team of programmers for. :)