PDA

View Full Version : empire pascal game

christosch
13-03-2007, 09:11 PM
hello, someone gave me the game empire (source code only) on pascal

When i try to compile it and run it i get an error mistake that says that the units are missing (the following units are used: Windows, SysUtils, Classes, Graphics, Forms, Controls, Menus, StdCtrls, Dialogs, Buttons, Messages, ExtCtrls, ComCtrls, StdActns, ActnList, ToolWin, ImgList)

are those units standard units of pascal and i can find them somewhere in the internet or they are custom units?

thank you

p.s: if you want i can upload the game files on the internet so you can give a look

AthenaOfDelphi
13-03-2007, 09:21 PM
hi christosch,

whether they are standard units or not depends very much on the version of the compiler you are using. I'd hazard a guess (mainly because I can't remember exactly when ActnList was added), and say that from the looks of it, the code you have requires Delphi 5, possibly 6.

So, the next big question is what Pascal compiler are you using?

christosch
13-03-2007, 09:22 PM
dev-pascal and turbo pascal 7 but none could compile it and gave the same error

AthenaOfDelphi
13-03-2007, 09:28 PM
In that case.... you have a couple of options I guess... you could check out www.turboexplorer.com (http://www.turboexplorer.com/) and download the free edition of Turbo Delphi for Win32. Alternatively you could pop over to www.freepascal.org (http://www.freepascal.org/) and grab a copy of FreePascal and Lazarus and try that.

Certainly the code requires a Delphi compatible compiler looking at the uses list.

christosch
13-03-2007, 10:37 PM
i installed lazarus and free pascal, so now i have a lot of .pas files (the game parts) and i opened them all with lazarus and when i tried to compiled them i got the following error so did i do something wrong?

c:\lazarus\fpc\2.0.4\bin\i386-win32\ld.exe: cannot open output file C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\project1.exe: Permission denied
project1.lpr(16,1) Error: Error while linking
Error: c:\lazarus\fpc\2.0.4\bin\i386-win32\ppc386.exe returned an error exitcode (normal if you did not specify a source file to be compiled)

AthenaOfDelphi
14-03-2007, 02:05 AM
I'm afraid I can't help.... I've never used FreePascal or Lazarus. Hopefully someone who does will be able to help.

dmantione
14-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Can you verify the compiler can indeed write in that directory? Something must be wrong with it. Try to create a directory c:\pascal\empire or so, try moving the files there and compile there.

dmantione
14-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Ok, I think I understand the problem a bit better now. By default Lazarus opens a project called "project1", which it is trying to compiler.
Please close all files and close the project. Then open a new project and select the program .pas file of the game.

Sly
14-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Or use the feature of Lazarus that allows you to convert a Delphi project to a Lazarus project. I've done the conversion before, but Lazarus still won't compile the project because it does not convert the .dfm files as part of the process. So you then try to convert each .dfm to a .lfm. I've had very limited success with this.

christosch
15-03-2007, 12:15 PM
i tried everything you told but nothing helped, i think tha problem has something to do with the units. here is the zip file with the source files http://rapidshare.com/files/21142040/Empire-source.zip.html its really small (180kb) could someone try to compile it and see what the problem is?

thank you[/url]

Legolas
15-03-2007, 12:29 PM
It compiles fine with Delphi 6 Personal Edition and TurboExplorer for win32 both

christosch
15-03-2007, 01:56 PM
do you know where i can download Delphi 6 Personal Edition or TurboExplorer for win32 then?

Legolas
15-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Athena already said. However, there is the direct link:

http://www.turboexplorer.com/downloads

Select your preferred mirror and download Turbo Delphi Explorer.

WILL
15-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Have you tried switching on Delphi compatibility mode in Lazarus?