PDA

View Full Version : jedi-SDL in fpc/packages/extra now

Almindor
15-03-2007, 09:03 AM
I have added the JEDI-SDL header translation (slightly modified for fpc and 64 bits too) to FPC. If anyone can please test on various platforms. Currently the thing doesn't work in win64 because of JEDI defines (they used win32 all over the place) but that's just temporary.

It's only added in latest fpc beta from trunk so only for those edgy guys out there. Any kind of tests would be highly appreciated but mostly on 64 bits. (x86_64 linux and ppc64 linux should work, darwin perhaps too)

NOTE: sadly the JEDI guys used MPL which is INCOMPATIBLE to GPL meaning alot of stress license wise. Be aware of this fact please (we're negociating a license change)

marcov
17-05-2007, 08:44 PM
For more information about MPL, see a short explaning writeup at

http://wiki.freepascal.org/licensing

savage
18-05-2007, 05:33 AM
I checked in a new version of JEDI-SDL into CVS last night with more GP2X support.

As I mentioned earlier, it would be nice for developers to only have one version of the sdl.pas file that worked on FPC and Delphi, rather than a version that did and one that did not. Any chance some could tell me what changes are quired to get my version working on 64 bits?

Almindor
18-05-2007, 06:58 PM
I checked in a new version of JEDI-SDL into CVS last night with more GP2X support.

As I mentioned earlier, it would be nice for developers to only have one version of the sdl.pas file that worked on FPC and Delphi, rather than a version that did and one that did not. Any chance some could tell me what changes are quired to get my version working on 64 bits?

I cannot upkeep a hybrid version in fpc/packages, mainly because I only have one Delphi and SDL has versions differences, in other words, unless someone comes who helps with that part, the fpc version will be fpc only (but I can try not to deliberately break it for delphi).

You just need to fix the alignment stuff. IIRC there was some {$packrecords 4} and {$align} settings in the sdl includes file which was 32 bit specific. I just changed it to {$packrecords C} IIRC and removed the {$align}.

technomage
18-05-2007, 11:08 PM
I have to say I agree with Dom. I have a problem with the JEDI-SDL units being duplicated in the Free Pascal Source control system. This might cause us problems with maintenance in the future. Dom has already stated that we will incorperate your changes into the JEDI-SDL source, as we have with support for GPX2 and NDS (and oter platforms and compilers).

No one on the JEDI-SDL team have time to maintain both copies of the source. So one will end up getting out of date (I'm willing to bet it'll be the fpc one).

I'll do a diff on the changes you have commited to fpc and try to incorperate those into the JEDI-SDL source over the weekend.

Dom - I'll mail you when the diff is complete.

Edit - The Revision in fpc source is based on version 1.17, it'll take a while to get it up to the latest 1.28.

technomage
20-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Looking at the diffs it's mainly a case of changing IFDEF WIN32 to IFDEF WINDOWS. This will need to be done, across the whole JEDI-SDL suite to be consistent. We'll need to test to make sure that the packrecords C is OK under FPC on 32 bit machines as well.

Dom , I'll post on the message list and see if we can get a few people to test the changes under various platforms.

Almindor - do you want to lend a hand and test the JEDI-SDL suite under 64 bit?

Almindor
20-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Did they update to SDL 1.2 yet? I did some updates as per the SDL changelog (few methods and one record got changed, 2 methods added).

I wouldn't bet on JEDI being up to date, they weren't past 4 years but if they do it's a good sign. If they manage to get it clean I'll include their version in fpc so we have only one (just give me a tell when they do new changes so I know).

I can try their version on various FPC targets sometime next week but cannot promise you that since I'm in the middle of final exams right now.

savage
20-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Did they update to SDL 1.2 yet? I did some updates as per the SDL changelog (few methods and one record got changed, 2 methods added).

Who is the *they* you are refering to here?

I wouldn't bet on JEDI being up to date, they weren't past 4 years but if they do it's a good sign. If they manage to get it clean I'll include their version in fpc so we have only one (just give me a tell when they do new changes so I know).

If you are referering to JEDI-SDL, then the latest sdl.pas in CVS ( http://jedi-sdl.cvs.sourceforge.net/jedi-sdl/JEDI-SDLv1.0/SDL/Pas/sdl.pas?view=log) is compatible with v1.2.11 of SDL, which last time I checked ( http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php ) is the latest version of SDL available. It has been compatible with that latest version since Decemeber 2006. How long has the FPC version been up to date?

This version has been tested and known to work on Win32, Linux and MacOS X and recently had Nintendo GBA & DS support added and GP2X support added 2 days ago. It may not have 64bit support, but that is only because no one has told me or anyone else on the JEDI-SDL team that they were working on it.

A little bit of communication can go a long way.

WILL
20-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Almindor, you do realize that it's savage (aka Dominique Louis) is the current maintainer of JEDI-SDL, right? :)

technomage and savage are actually the ones making code changes to the library/headers of which you are writing about.

Almindor
24-05-2007, 01:58 PM
snipped

The release of SDL is 1.0 about year old now IIRC. Also 0.5 was official release for a long time, and that one was quite outdated too. I don't check your CVS for official releases, I check the homepage.

I'll test your latest CVS and provide patches shortly.

P.S: Would be best if we made up some kind of updated notification mechanism. Whenever you're about to do a new version release feel free to mail me at almindor [at] gmail (dot) com and I'll see if things still work and update the fpc copy. So you'll be the main repos and I'll just take care of the copying and maintanance of all exotic targets (atleast those which I can :D)

savage
30-05-2007, 11:48 AM
For those following this thread... Last night I checked in Almindor's suggested 64bit changes to jedi-sdl.inc and the various sdl_*.pas files.

Could you please test these on both Windows and Linux and for 32 and 64bit.

Thanks.

jdarling
30-05-2007, 01:28 PM
For those following this thread... Last night I checked in Almindor's suggested 64bit changes to jedi-sdl.inc and the various sdl_*.pas files.
Could you please test these on both Windows and Linux and for 32 and 64bit.
Thanks.

As soon as there is a full download and not just an SVN/CVS version I'll be happy to test JumpStart out with the changes. Sorry, but I refuse to install all of the different clients that people want to require for their projects. If its truly release ready, then it should be in a compressed release file or an installer.

Dom, is there a reason you don't have the project setup to create auto builds nightly that can be downloaded?

savage
30-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Dom, is there a reason you don't have the project setup to create auto builds nightly that can be downloaded?

Yes the reason is, and it's a good one, I don't know how to. If you know how to I would love to know how to do it.

dmantione
30-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Simply create a shell script that downloads the stuff from cvs, optionally compile it, and zip it. Finally upload it, this is the easiest with an scp, other upload methods might be a little bit more tricky.

savage
30-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Sourceforge seems a bit trickier than that, as things get uploaded to a generic release area and you then need to select it and create a release for it to appear as part of your project.

I have just managed to create a VBscript process that will at least zip up the directory and upload it to the SF release area, so what's needed now is a way to automate the download from CVS part.

savage
30-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Actually forget that last post. I'll just upload it to the jedi-sdl.pascalgamedevelopment.com/files/ area and make sure the home page points to that file and has a date-time stamp. That should do it.

I'll see what I can get working this evening.

savage
30-05-2007, 10:44 PM
OK I can't quite get the upload automated, but for purposes of testing please grab the latest JEDI-SDL v1.0 Beta 2 from
http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/jedi-sdl/files/JEDI-SDLv1.0.zip ( ~6MB )

All feedback welcome, but please post it in the JEDI-SDL forum. Thanks.

jdarling
31-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Downloaded, I'll try building later today and let you know how it goes.

technomage
31-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Dom

I got the latest source down, looks good. I'll test it under linux this weekend. :D

WILL
31-05-2007, 09:55 PM
:o Oh wow, I just realized. I have to upgrade now. It's been.... a while. :D

Almindor
01-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Updated packages/extra/sdl to be a copy of the posted JEDI-SDL (only specific files).

I will support SDL, SDL_Image, SDL_Mixer, SDL_ttf and SDL_gfx. If anyone wants other SDL parts to be supported they need to provide good testing on all platforms (I use my game :D).

I also relicensed those files to LGPL + exception so there are no issues with fpc and or other GPL libs.

Is it all ok Dominique? If something doesn't seem right just contact me :)

savage
01-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi,
As I mentioned in the email, please ensure that they are dual licenced under the original MPL and LGPL. Other than that I think everything else is fine.

WILL
01-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Dual license? Never heard of that before. How does that work? :scratch:

dmantione
02-07-2007, 05:39 AM
Simple, you say you can distribute the code if you comply to license A or B.

Almindor
02-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Fixed.

Ok, I also added a copy of sdl_mixer called sdl_mixer_nosmpeg which will serve as a no_smpeg depending sdl_mixer (with no mp3 support) for people who cannot simply recompile the SDL headers anymore (eg: unix fpc users).