PDA

View Full Version : Baling from compo??

NecroDOME
15-03-2007, 09:18 AM
So I was thinking to bale out from the compo. The main reason is that I don't have the time as I have a project running that brings in some money (game project), so it has a higher priority.

Also a reason is that I am currently the only one working on the compo entry, as we registerd with 4 people, so I'm doing everything.

But there is hope: after a quick thought decided to not bale out yet, but I think we gonna have a crappy (half working) entry...

Good luck to all competitors!

ps. My entry was the race game (with jets) for the one's who want to know...

jasonf
15-03-2007, 09:56 AM
If everyone bails, Will I win 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes? :lol:

Come on you guys, less of this defeatist attitude, real life is a pain in the arse but it's always there and will always be there, getting in your way.

Necro Bud, your game looks awesome, don't quit OK.. How will I be able to fly pimped up planes around if you quit?

NecroDOME
15-03-2007, 12:47 PM
yeah... I not bailing already... it's just I really need some more time...

vgo
15-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I having some serious "time management" problems too. :(

I can work on my entry pretty much only in the weekends and a few hours in the evenings.

I think that the main problem for me is that I'm developing a real world game engine that can be used for something else after the competition. Obviously I'm gonna have to compromise, there's no time for everything. :)

I've been working on the level editor for the last week or so, to create space/indoor scenes for my entry, but there's still a lot of work to do. I can already import static geometry for the indoor scenes and place objects and then move/rotate/scale them etc. I can switch between game and editing modes in the editor to quickly test how things look in motion (physics/collision etc).

All this means that I have absolutely no time to create ANY content whatsoever for the game. So, the code is there but it won't do any good without content...

I have two friends helping a bit with 3D models and such, but they're already way too busy with their own stuff, so progress is slow. I've been trying to look for modelers but with no luck so far. :(

In short, if I bail out it's because I don't have any content for the game. :)

WILL
15-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Necro Bud, your game looks awesome, don't quit OK.. How will I be able to fly pimped up planes around if you quit?

I second that! ;)

Look here's the thing guys... (speaking in general to everyone that is even having the slightest hint of thoughts about quiting)

The concept of the deadline system and even the competition it's self is not to make the most viable polish-complete sticks to all the guidelines game you can possibly make or 'you suck and you fail'.

It's more of a 'lets see what you can do'. And in most cases we are pleasantly surprised. Some of the stage goals are a bit bloated and require quite a bit of polishing to get them ALL done. Thats on purpose.

Like graphics, music and innovation, we don't expect you to get 100% in all those either. So think of it this way instead...

Make the best game you possibly can. If it stands out in some way, then you've done exactly what you were meant to do and you've done a good job.

Thats all I'm personally asking of each of you. Do your best even if it's below the confines of the goals listed. It's likely that this year's goals are just more demanding and harder than last year.

...though I would recommend a title screen of sorts as it really helps me when I go to make my videos of your games. :lol:

NecroDOME
16-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Well, if I find the time I'll try to create some more for the compo... but... for now I don't have much time :(

Thanks for your support!

Traveler
16-03-2007, 01:39 PM
That is too bad. Your entry seemed very promising. :(