PDA

View Full Version : Stage 2 Results

WILL
16-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Posted for all to see, the stage 2 scores are now published.

http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/competitions.php?p=results&c=3

Huehnerschaender
16-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Ah, finally :) Thank you very much @judges.

Traveler
16-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Sweet :)

I noticed Clootie is a bit tougher on us when it comes to the choosen genres. I don't mind that at all, although I do find the comments from judges somewhat confusing.

Whereas Clootie's general opinion is often about a lacking genre implementation, Athena and Sascha usually seem to be more liberal in the way a genre is handled. In case of my entry, Sascha speaks of "a clearly visible genre" where Clootie says "no game genre is realized".
Apparently it was not that visible. :wink:

vgo
16-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Same for me, but I don't mind. :D

Clootie
16-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Guys, let me explain mine thoughts while doing judging: mine comments in all cases (except NecroSOFT RaceGame) were not about genres done right or wrong, but about game implementation. Clearly most of you implemented you're game engines well for requested genres. But let's be clear here: Engine is not equal to Game. Prime example here is STALKER - game engine was/is beautiful demo levels where factastic! But there was no game - Game is out only this month after 5(?) years in development. And this is what I've tried to see in your entries - clear stencil for future completed game -> multiple levels (if game is supposed to do this), tasks, clear targets for player. I was surprized what a lot of submissions even didn't allowed to "finish" level / game! After mine initial pass on all entries - I've submitted points for "game" task only for two items, clearly there was some misunderstanding between mine opinion and what you're expecting, so I came back and relaxed some of mine expectations.

PS. I'm really sorry for delay in judgement - this was/is quite tough month for me - I was travelling on business last two weeks and on next week will be on vacation. For example, this post is typed in Seattle airport while I'm waiting for a plane. And I probably will have only occasional internet access for next 10 days.

jdarling
16-03-2007, 08:49 PM
So, Clootie, since you seem to be the hard judge to please. What do you think of my proposition of RPG elements for Stage 3 (I'll state them again, as I have cleaned them up a bit)?

- Player can customize stats (add random combat tokens, up life, and do a full heal)
- Player can engage in combat situations that result in player either dieing or being rewarded with engaged enemies combat tokens.
- Player receives stat points to spend on the above after a successful engagement resulting in an enemy being killed.
- Hopefully, NPC's will be back in, and will allow player to complete tasks, quests, and gain information related to game play and the puzzle at the end.
- There will be NO player levels, but will be game levels to complete.

So, does that fit the RPG element enough, or would it take more? I've managed to get just about everything except for the NPC's in place already, though I'd like to focus on expanding MOB's for stage 3 and focus on NPC's and Puzzles for the next stage.

PS: Would love to hear others opinions as well :)

Clootie
17-03-2007, 02:27 AM
jdarling yes, I'm fine with your proposal.

FedeX
17-03-2007, 04:45 AM
I completely agree with Clootie and with the comments others by the judges, but I do not understand why so not enough variety in points. Only 165, 140 and 30.
The posts of the different participants you see were such different :cyclops:

AthenaOfDelphi
17-03-2007, 10:53 AM
The reason there isn't much of a variety in points is because at the moment, the stages are scored on an all or nothing basis... so if you have a goal thats worth 25 points, you either get 0 or 25 points.

We can't allocate points on a sliding scale based on whether we think you achieved 75% of the goal for example.