PDA

View Full Version : Stage 3 Highlights

WILL
27-03-2007, 02:40 AM
<center><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6K1VxF13L80"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XkOXKjpjR-U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object></center>

Well, here it is Stage 3 highlights! ;)

vgo
27-03-2007, 07:09 AM
It's sad to see that not that many entries made the stage 3 deadline... :(

Huehnerschaender
27-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Mine is not shown at all :?

Anyway... the videos before that seemed to be more "action"-like... maybe it's the music, don't know...

Traveler
27-03-2007, 08:25 AM
It's sad to see that not that many entries made the stage 3 deadline... :(

True, although fact is that only a few of those that did can be seen in this video, or in the previous one.

jasonf
27-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Well, I'm kindof glad mine didn't make the video for stage3, it's not looking too pretty at the moment.. Hopefully though, it'll make stage 4 ;)

Some of these look pretty cool, some nice work being done.

Good work everyone, things are moving along nicely 8)

Sascha Willems
27-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Well Jason that's not true ;)

Actually Will had problems capping your game on his system so I capped a video of it for him but I think the reason for him not putting it in was simple :
The sprite (which as you told is still a placeholder) is rather dark and it's colors don't differ too much from the background. And even with a rather high-quality compression setting at 640x480 your sprite was almost invisible and for youtube you have to lower quality even more and need to lower resolution to 320x240.

In the end that would have meant noone would be able to see the fairy running around at youtube's bad quality, and Will mainly wanted to show the differences between stage 2 and stage 3 and therefore I guess he hasn't included your entry.

So don't worry about the quality of it. Besides some problems (most of you pointed at in your readme) I found it to be a great entry showing a lot of potential. I made remarks on how to improve it in my comments, but you'll have to wait until scores are posted to see them.

Kinda the same can be said for Dirk's entry. Visually it didn't differ much from the one shown in stage 2 so it wasn't included here.

jasonf
27-03-2007, 12:11 PM
That's a fair point Sascha, I'd not really paid much attention to the lighting of the model, I was just interested in getting it into the game as fast as possible.
I'm still going to try to get live action into the game, so hopefully I'll be able to light the main character enough so she's visible.

Lighting is everything ;)

3_of_8
27-03-2007, 12:22 PM
I was fairly surprised to find MechaChess with its... debugging-model-troll in the video.

Traveler
27-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Ah well, it did look kind of cool :D

savage
27-03-2007, 12:48 PM
I was fairly surprised to find MechaChess with its... debugging-model-troll in the video.

Did you get that troll from the OpenGL game programming book?

jdarling
27-03-2007, 01:34 PM
The video isn't bad, but I do have to admit that the music this time around puts me on edge :shock: .

Congrats to all of those that made stage 3, and to everyone see you at the finish line.

3_of_8
27-03-2007, 08:06 PM

Did you get that troll from the OpenGL game programming book?

No, somewhere in the internet while I was looking for animated MD2-Models. I thinks the troll's called "Ogro" and he appears in Doom or something like that. Perhaps it isn't even a troll, but I don't care, for me it's a troll. ;)