PDA

View Full Version : It's a bit Quiet here today...

jasonf
28-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm just a bit bored at work and no-one's chatting :(

I had a really tough ride into work today on my motorbike, the weather in England is very very foggy at the moment, in fact over the last two days it's been like this, but worse today. Yesterday there was an accident on the way to work, some idiot had been driving much too fast and ploughed into someone going slower, smashing both their cars.. then afterwards, another car ploughed into the wreckage... Idiots!

Today, even foggier, another accident In the SAME PLACE!!... I started to wonder if I was going to be sitting on the bonnet (hood) of a BMW or something as my bike's not very visible in the fog (Bikes don't have fog lights) and people were still travelling much too fast for the visibility level..

Take care out there peeps.

Huehnerschaender
28-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Yep, not much going on here atm...

People overestimate their luck too often... unfortunatly in most cases the people which did NOT cause the accidents are those who get hurt and the idiots can go home with a little shock.

Anyway... I am prgramming on my entry atm... I did some logo for myself (I now call myself "Dino games entertainment" :) DiNo because of my real name which is DIrk NOrdhusen).

You can take a look at it here: www.dino-it.de

For my compo entry I am just implementing my "ski jump car" artillery toy :) This is real fun... the vehicle physics are already done and it looks really cool when my toy car jumps over the ski jump... I now need some kind of placement method and rotation. The speed of the car will be adjusted by a powermeter and the height of the ski jump too... so it will not be too easy to destruct the enemys towers with this toy.

Really funny compo this time (from the development view) :)

jasonf
28-03-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm really looking forward to playing your game, it looks fantastic, great concept too.. quite ambitious and unique.

I'm busy writing a multi-tier application to administer hundreds if installations of our business software, it's looking kindof funky, but I'd rather be working on CrashBlock..

I like your logo, although I'd say it's a little too dark. A logo needs to be more pronounced, not lurking in the shadows... although it is kindof scary, perhaps that'sthe look you were going for. :)

Huehnerschaender
28-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Yes, this is indeed what I was looking for, because BBA will be the only of my games which takes place in a childrens playroom :) This kind of dark and "scary" logo will fit perfectly in games like Valgard's Fate...

See this little video (< 1MB)

http://www.ericbehme.de/phpBB2DAN/download.php?id=215

jasonf
28-03-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm going to have to watch that later when I get home.. I don't have any Rar utilities on this machine, and my company are quite strict on me installing things.. Corporate paranoia :roll:

I've got WinRar at home, so I'll check it out then.

Do you know of any (Free) video editing software that lets me see the video frames in a film strip? I need to be able to pick out specific frames..

Or better still, software which takes an AVI and exports individual images at X fps..

Huehnerschaender
28-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Do you know of any (Free) video editing software that lets me see the video frames in a film strip? I need to be able to pick out specific frames..
Maybe Windows Movie Maker can do this?!

Or better still, software which takes an AVI and exports individual images at X fps..
Hmm.... don't know any...

I am a bit in a hurry now... TTYL

WILL
28-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Maybe Windows Movie Maker can do this?!

Thats what I use. :) the little playback screen on the right hand side will allow you to step through frames. Capturing to a specific image I think might be doable... You'd have to consult the help files though...

Otherwise you could try playing it back and pressing Print Screen. :)

WILL
28-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Actually to be honest, PGD has been very quiet lately, save for a select few brief moments when something 'official' is posted.

What happened to all the enthusiasm we had last month? :scratch:

Did someone pee in someone's cereal? (Actually I just ate a muffin which was carrot.... green carrot anyhow. :p I hope I don't get sick. :?)

Traveler
28-03-2007, 02:20 PM
The logo looks nice, although I have to agree, it does look a bit dark.

I don't think Windows Movie Maker is able to turn movies in separate frames. At least, when last I tried to do just that, it didn't work.

VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/) might be a good place to start for some free video editing.

jasonf
28-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks Traveler, I'll check out that program tonight..

I really must stop peeing into people's cerial, I had no idea how annoying it was. Sorry guys :lol:

I've no idea about the lack of enthusiasm, perhaps people are just mad busy working on their entries.. but with the spate of Blogs that cropped up, I was sure there'd be some new stuff to read...

How do you mistake a muffin for a carrot?

Sascha Willems
28-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Yeah, it's really quite but not only around PGD here but globally for pascal (game) dev. A lot of good coders I know either already switched to other languages (mainly C#. and together with the new Visual Studio it's a good choice over Delphi) or are at least wanting to switch and I myself dunno if my next project will be made using Delphi (I mostly miss and real progress within Delphi itself, most releases don't bring any cool stuff for game coders like additions to the language itself).

Other than that I'm spending almost all the time I can spare (which is right now that much due to real life) on Project "W" and started to assemble a narrated video that I finally want to get out. I already recorded around 15 minutes of fully narrated (english, by myself) material but I fear that I'll have to cut down in order to have a video with reasonable length and size. But I think I'll have it finished and uploaded before the weekend.

WILL
28-03-2007, 03:57 PM
I've no idea about the lack of enthusiasm, perhaps people are just mad busy working on their entries.. but with the spate of Blogs that cropped up, I was sure there'd be some new stuff to read...

Well the main thing that concerns me is not only the lack of posts, but that submissions for the PGD Annual this year went from:

28 to 18 to 13...

I'd seriously like to see more teams coming back to submit. Or at least show some sign of activity. I know a handful had time/work issues getting something togetherso those aren't so bad. But those that went silent... What happened to you?

Eric, NecroSOFT, Mindnever, William?

How do you mistake a muffin for a carrot?

It was a carrot muffin. :? I broke open a muffin to eat it and saw that there was some green in it. I though sh** I just waisted 4 bucks on muffins that are bad. (got a whole tray of em.) looked at it more and broke op-en another muffin and read the package to see if it was actually supposed to be like that.

This after having eaten most of one. :P I only noticed after one of the carrots still had some orange in it... crap I ate a bad one... turns out they are all bad. :? Green carrots anyone?

Huehnerschaender
28-03-2007, 04:13 PM
It's hard to believe that so many entrants really quit... The prizes are just awesome this year.... Even if I would miss a stage, I would go on when I have the time, just to keep the little chance to get one of the prizes...

Anyhow... I will post a progress video soon (when my jump car works good enough to be shown ^^).

jasonf
28-03-2007, 04:40 PM
I think you're fairly safe with green carrots, they're just not ripe yet.. stay away from brown or black carrots though, they're rather nasty :D but you'd have noticed before you even got near it :lol: :P

I also would like a lot of the teams who've kept themselves quiet for whatever reason to check in, you never know, we might be able to help out if they've got a technical issue.. this isn't a cut throught competition, I've got no problems helping people if they ask. (as long as I have enough time)

I'd also like some of the people who feel like they can't continue to have a really long look at their project, perhaps scale it down a bit and finish it.. I've only been able to spend a few hours a week on my game.. If I've got time, anyone has.

I for one am looking forward to finishing my game, even if it doesn't get placed so I can say "Look, I made that!" :) completing the game and being able to show it off to others is more important to me than coming 1st. Yeah Yeah, I know... it's vanity :D

cairnswm
28-03-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm still planning on getting an entry in for the compo.

Just training at the moment is making me really tired. This weekend I run the Long Tom Ultra Marathon (www.longtom.info) of 56kms. And then I'm away. So my real work on my entry will actually truly start in early may after the Swazi Extreme Adventure race while training slows down before the comrades marathon.

Robert Kosek
28-03-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm busy with other stuff mostly, aside from a few periodic snide remarks, you know, the usual lurker activities. Haven't had time at all for anything pascal related, let alone game design related. Such is life periodically.