PDA

View Full Version : On exams [AS\A2]

Zanthos
02-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Anyone else doing their final A2 modules/AS resits? I'm finding it probably the most stressful thing in the world.. I've got resits and modules for 5 subjects, 4 exam resists, and the total comes up to 17 exams. York wants AAB with an A in mathematics, but if I get in there I'll be much pleased :) So if anyone has any revision/vision nightmares they wish to share, and any revision tactics that seem to work, feel free to share :)

As for my tactics, in my AS exams last year I drunk lots of coffee, and kept my brain active all the time by thinking about coding.. I came out with AABC, which I wasn't too bothered by, although this stuff is more difficult and I doubt thinking about my programmable particle system all the time was the thing to do... although I know one thing works, sleep, go bed 10:30, wake up 7, get the body into a rythmn and never break from it, even if it IS the half-term/summer-hols (ok maybe after a night out is an exception :wink: ).

Alimonster
05-05-2003, 09:10 AM
Exams irritate me. Trust me, I was over the moon when I reached the stage when I never needed to do another one again (last exam, final year of uni).

I know that this is probably not too helpful for you :P.

You can reasonable results in most exams doing a small amount of revision (maybe a day or two). If you can force yourself to do _lots_ of revision (but not going overboard) then you should expect a very high mark. Don't stress yourself about them too much -- losing a little sleep is fine but tearing your hair out isn't.

Apparently, you can study better if you have music playing in the background (I can't remember if it was a specific genre of music, though). Maybe not too loud, though ;).

Are your exams over with yet, or are they still to come? Good luck.

Useless Hacker
09-05-2003, 11:02 AM
I'm in the second year of Maths, Physics, Chemistry and ICT (which is a load of crap BTW) A-Levels. In the AS modules last year, I got AAAB :), but I didn't do so well in the exams I took in January, so I'm retaking all of them. In total I am taking about 12 exams, 2 practical exams this month, and the rest in June. I need to get AAC (or ABB) to get into Birmingham to study Computer Systems Engineering. I did originally apply to York, and they asked me for interview, but then I got several other offers which I prefered. In case you are thinking York's requirements are high, Imperial College London offered me a place conditional on AAA! (Which I declined..)

While I hate exams as much as anyone, they are much more preferable to coursework, because with exams you can get away with doing no work beforehand. :twisted:

As for revision tactics... I don't have any. In ICT, we've only just started studying the last module, so it will definately be 'vison' rather than revision!

LP
14-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Greetz... 2 U. Hacker - good luck in Computer Systems Engineering, it's a nice course (i'm finishing my studies in it :wink: ).
As for exam tactics - revision is ok, but you'd focus on studying the material during the course as preparation for exam, so a week before the examination takes place you can get some rest and sleep instead of long exam preparation in this time. That was proven to be one of the best tactics, besides that way you get high self-confidence in exam and won't have to worry about anything.
Listening to music while studying also proven to be useful, but it seems that you need to listen mostly same music for the same subject you're studying and listening this music right before exam could help - that's the associative memory workin' :wink:

Luck with the exam takin'!
Lifepower