PDA

View Full Version : Future Scape (MMORPG)

Gadget
03-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Since January I have been coding my own MMORPG. Development is going well thanks to some of the advice given here :)

Here is a work in progress screenshot:-

<edit, removed link, old site :P >

Clients can now login and walk around. I have made quite a lot of progress. We have proprietry image libraries, login server, message server, main server, dev kit (library and image tools, map editor, animation tool), prototype scripting engine, prototype AI engine, gfx, music, sounds etc. etc. Most of the system works perfectly at the moment, but I need to optimize some of the routines, and the worst is yet to come...

GFX take an age to prepare, due to the fact that the engine is 2.5D. We are using LightWave 3D and other 3D packages to produce gfx from 8 different angles, which can then be imported into image libraries. Very time consuming :P

I have the main character walking about (scroll tile based) the maps, I just need to display other characters now... (I had previously done this, but once I added smooth scrolling, the code needed rewritting) Finally comes the character interaction and other creatures.

I am looking for ideas, and could do with talking to people who have experience in MMO games! We are looking for more artists, I have 2 guys working on GFX, but I am having to render stuff myself at the moment, and believe me, I would rather not :P

Website should be available soon. In the meantime you can find updates on my site:- www.c5software.co.uk

Alimonster
05-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Nice graphics. Keep up the hard work -- you're going in the right direction. Remember us at DGDev when you make your first million quid. 8)

Gadget
26-08-2003, 06:57 PM
Nice graphics. Keep up the hard work -- you're going in the right direction. Remember us at DGDev when you make your first million quid. 8)

Will do ;) If I make any money out of this I plan on paying where due.

My site is down at the moment, but hopefully should be back up sometime this week. If anyone would like to register as a 'closed tester' please just ask. It would be nice to get some feedback and ideas from fellow Delphi coders.

lucky
27-08-2003, 01:30 AM
Wow, looking good man. OpenGL? DX?

I have/am considering doing a mmorpg but hadn't put a huge amount of thought into the netcode.
Are you just going to rent out a huge amount of bandwidth?

I have had some thoughts of a possible p2p communication but some security issues arise.

Again, nice.

btw, I'd be down for testing. (could you define 'closed tester'?)

luck

Gadget
27-08-2003, 07:39 AM
Wow, looking good man. OpenGL? DX?

I have/am considering doing a mmorpg but hadn't put a huge amount of thought into the netcode.
Are you just going to rent out a huge amount of bandwidth?

I have had some thoughts of a possible p2p communication but some security issues arise.

Again, nice.

btw, I'd be down for testing. (could you define 'closed tester'?)

luck

Using DirectX. Interms of bandwidth I am not sure yet... We have done some testing and it's working out at 1Kb per second per client. What kind of security issues were you thinking about? IP availability issues?

By 'closed tester' I mean a sort of non public. not quite beta type test. We have a test team of around 25 who should be testing either this week or next.

Gadget
20-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Bump,

Looking for someone with commercial game coding experience to test my alpha client. Anyone interested? Please sign up on our forum!

Site:- www.c5software.co.uk (check out screenshots and concept artwork)

Forum:- www.c5hosting.co.uk/C5Forum

dragonfire
27-04-2004, 02:07 PM
o.O Gadget are you realy the gadget of mir2 scene? :) cant belive it lol, i see you have conntections to get stuff hehe btw. i would ask you somethink about lom..... whether you can help me and lot of peoples out??? may you know us lol
take care!

cya df

Gadget
03-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Another bump. And yes it is me from Mir 2 ;)

Harry Hunt
03-06-2004, 05:38 PM
I'm a bit late, but hey, it's never too late to say "good job"! :D

Looking really nice. Sounds very ambitious but I'm pretty sure you're up to it! Keep up the good work!

Gadget
22-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Well, it's been a long while since my last post :P

Thanks very much to all the people that helped me get so far. Despite sporadic development things are still moving along. It's looking very much like the game engine will be commerically viable =O

I still have some scalability code to add in (linking world maps to other physical servers on the LAN). People can login, fight, trade, pk, hunt, collect and drop items, level up, increase stats, wear items, use the map, group, and much more. The core of the system works pretty well and I am in a phase of optimisation / rewriting some routines that I am not happy with.

We are actively looking for modellers, as the content is what we are lacking now. If you want to help with this project please send an email to gadget@c5software.co.uk

We are also looking for 2D graphics talent, and maybe a delphi coder to help with the auto patch, log server, and other game world tools.

WILL
22-12-2004, 11:03 PM
I've had a look at the site lately and I must say.. WOW! Are all of those concept model screens for the game? Because they are pretty darn nice.

Please keep us up to dae on your progress as I will be watching this one carefully ;)

savage
22-12-2004, 11:39 PM
It looks very promising indeed. Keep up the excellent work!

Gadget
23-12-2004, 03:46 PM
I've had a look at the site lately and I must say.. WOW! Are all of those concept model screens for the game? Because they are pretty darn nice.

Please keep us up to dae on your progress as I will be watching this one carefully ;)

Thanks for the reply =D Yes, most of the concept shots are due to be added in shortly. Unfortunately our head modeller is pre-occupied with some studying, so it's delaying progress.

The site has been down today, oneandone.co.uk decided to do 'routine' maintenance without telling anyone...

Robert Kosek
23-12-2004, 04:29 PM
I tried going to the site while the maintenence was done, so I cheked again today. VERY cool! It look like you've made amazing progress.

Would you explain to me the teams decision on making it an online RPG? I'm not sure I get the catch, IE the player's enjoyment, since RPG's take lots of time to play. MP would be bad if a level 30 guy decided he didn't like you when you just started.

By the way, Inpector Gadget was my favorite cartoon. :D I miss those days...

MikeS
23-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Looking great Gadget.

This is the best looking mmorpg I've seen on a pascal board!
Keep it up!

:D

Gadget
24-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Would you explain to me the teams decision on making it an online RPG? I'm not sure I get the catch, IE the player's enjoyment, since RPG's take lots of time to play. MP would be bad if a level 30 guy decided he didn't like you when you just started.

Yes, many of us have played other MMORPG and see how fun and addictive they can be. Being able to play an RPG with hundreds of other players is amazing fun, and cannot be compared to single offline experience.

Interms of the leveling, there are penalty systems in place to deal with player killers and grief play. If a level 30 character attacks a level 10 character he will be 'marked' and unable to do various things in game, almost like a justice system. Of course, you could kill 1 person and be OK, but kill another and you are classed as a player killer. The more you kill the worse it gets, you will find it hard to keep killing players without ruining your own gameplay.

We did toy with the idea of level balancing when player fight. eg. level 30 players attack drop to that of a level 10 - 12 when fighting a level 10 player, but imagine a group of level 10 players ganging up on a level 50, it would be a slaughter and unfair on someone so much higher level.