PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Linux UBUNTU -- needs help !!!

peter_from_hobart
14-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Hello fellow programmers,

I have used Micro$oft Windows XP Home Edition with the latest service packs installed -- however, I was never very happy with it. Over the last few days I have successfully installed Linux UBUNTU and updated it with all available updates.

I have download Free Pascal 2.0.4 from the Australian server, however, it would seem that I'm not smart enough to work out how to install it.

-----
Do you want to run "install.sh", or display its contents?

"install.sh" is an executable text file.

4 buttons appear next:

[Run in Terminal] [Display] [Cancel] [Run]
-----

Selecting "Run in Terminal" opens a terminal window with the following:

This shell script will attempt to install the Free Pascal Compiler
version 2.0.4 with the items you select

Install prefix (/usr or /usr/local) [/home/pew/fpc-2.0.4] :

-----

What happens is that at the Install prompt, regardless of whether I type in "/home/pew/fpc-2.0.4" or just press the <ENTER> key, the script closes.

I have checked and the "fpc-2.0.4" has been created however it is empty.
:?: :?: :?:

------

Also from the research that I have done today only, I think that I would like to install "Lazarus" because I want to have a Delphi-Like IDE to work with.

Can someone please please please help me to understand how I can install Free Pascal 2.0.4 (which I have already downloaded) and also how I can install "Lazarus".

I'm sure that other ppl would benifit from these instructions.

Regards,
Peter Eric (aka 'pew') WILLIAMS
signing off from the beautiful city of Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.

-----------

dmantione
14-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I'd recommend to try to install as root. I'm not sure what goes wrong as normally you should be able to install as user.

For Lazarus, there exists a Debian package, use it.

3_of_8
14-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Yeah, try to apt-get it.

You can search for the available packages like this:

apt-get update
apt-cache search fpc lazarus

Then you'll get a list of packages and you cann install them like this:
apt-get install <Packagename>

WILL
14-04-2007, 03:53 PM
The idea is that if you are installing Lazarus, FPC 2.0.4 comes with it and is ready to go right after installation.

peter_from_hobart
14-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Hi WILL & all,

Quote:> The idea is that if you are installing Lazarus, FPC 2.0.4 comes with it and is ready to go right after installation.

Thanks you pointing that out, as I did not realise it.

Please forgive my naive questioning, but I only got Linux installed within the last 2 or 3 days. I still have a lot to learn about UBUNTU and Linux. 8)

Can you (or anyone) please tell me the URL I need to go to find the correct version of Lazarus.

Also, because I'm a total newbie to Linux UBUNTU I would appreciate step by step help in installing it. { for example, it took me ages to work out that for me to open a Terminal window as root I needed to enter the command "sudo -i" ... now I know! }

:P :wink:

I don't really understand how TAR and GZ files work. I am quite used to using WinZip and WinRAR on Micro$oft Windows XP Home Edition... I think that I would be happier with something which installing with a GUI (if that's possible?). The WIZARDS in WinRAR were a great help!!!

Note!!! I do *not* have M$ Windows of any version currently installed on my computer eg it is 100% Linux Ubuntu & I don't really want to install Windows on it either.

I am actually a pretty smart user :) but I have been used to using Micro$oft Windows & other operating systems before that.

Perhaps you could consider the info you need to tell me as a guide to other users who are also having similar problems.

Fond Regards,
Peter_from_Hobart,
signing off from beautiful city of Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.

-----

JernejL
14-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Download lazarus debian full package, install it, if there are any missing dependancies, run ADEPT in kde start menu thingie and it can find most of needed stuff you may need for you.

JSoftware
15-04-2007, 12:30 AM
You mention Ubuntu. I guess then that you are using Gnome. I would advise KDE if you are a new linux user. I used Adept, a packagemanager, for nearly all my installation needs when I tried linux and it was much easier than building the stuff yourself. It was also far superior to any package manager in gnome(and kde)

3_of_8
15-04-2007, 09:00 AM
If you use apt-get install lazarus, you don't have to know a url or the correct version. apt-get looks in the package lists of archive.ubuntu.com for the correct version for you, downloads and installs it.

Zenophran
22-04-2007, 01:49 AM
apt-get will only work if the repositories you've got have the package listed. You may have to add the universe (? been a while since I used ubuntu) repository if you haven't already.

The other option is to start at the command line and work from there, personally, I find it easier to get things done that way as I can see what errors are generated.

Has anyone tried Fiesty Fawn yet? Any better than Edgy? I use OpenSUSE myself and, while I'm happy with it, I'm still interested in what's happening on the (K)Ubuntu front.

NovaKane
28-04-2007, 07:01 PM
FWIW:

In Ubuntu Feisty, I tried adding the universe, but it still didn't pick up Lazarus. I downloaded all the DEB packages from the Lazarus site.

I tried running GDebi on the Lazarus DEB, but it said it depended on fpc-source. I ran GDebi on fpc-source. That worked. Then I tried the Lazarus DEB again. That time it installed, but not before downloading 55 files, maybe the ones I'd already download from the Lazarus site. Don't know. I'm new to Ubuntu and Linux.

Anyway, this method worked for me, and Lazarus showed up on the Applications menu. It ran fine when I started it up. Wrote a Hello World program and tested it.