PDA

View Full Version : Can't install new components

NovaKane
15-04-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm using Turbo Delphi Explorer/Win32. I'm not supposed to be able to add any components to this free version of Delphi, so how do I use things like Asphyre? I'd like to be able to just add the unit(s) and create the components at runtime. Is that doable with Asphyre and other engines?

Angelo
15-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Components (most of them) have a ".dpk" file.
Just double click and hit install.

Legolas
15-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Components (most of them) have a ".dpk" file.
Just double click and hit install.

Not with Turbo Delphi :wink:
Of course, it is possible to use external components by creating them at runtime

NovaKane
15-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the comebacks. I've downloaded asphyre310.7z. I gathered that was a zip format, so I downloaded the 7z zip engine. Guess I'll have to install that to unzip the asphyre file and see what I've got.

I'm guessing there'll be an asphyre.dpk file in there somewhere. That's a Delphi package, right? I've never worked with packages, so I'll just have to experiment, see if I can get to the unit files that contain the class/component definitions.

Robert Kosek
15-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Yeah, it's a package (the DPK file) though I highly recommend that you use the latest beta of Asphyre 4. It's more stable than you'd think, and is not just faster but more flexible. (And it works around the component installation by initializing at runtime.)

NovaKane
16-04-2007, 01:15 AM
Yeah, it's a package (the DPK file) though I highly recommend that you use the latest beta of Asphyre 4. It's more stable than you'd think, and is not just faster but more flexible. (And it works around the component installation by initializing at runtime.)

Thanks, Robert. I just downloaded Version 4. Will look into it later tonight.