PDA

View Full Version : Job Opportunity at UK Game Development Studio

DelphiJob
16-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Vacancy for Delphi Game Programmer at Game Development Studio

High calibre game development studio (around 100 developers) in the UK, working on all the console platforms and PC. Would normally need fluent C++ skills and several published titles to get into a studio of this kind. However, a one-off opportunity has arisen requiring Delphi programming skills, so we are considering candidates with professional experience in Delphi programming and hobbyist experience in game programming. This could be a rare opportunity for someone wanting to make a sideways career move into the games industry.

We are looking for:

Experienced Delphi developer (minimum of 3 years professional experience).

Impressive portfolio of professional or hobbyist Delphi games.

Relevant Degree (2:1 or equivalent)

Passion for Computer Games.

HTML, Java, J2ME and C++ could all be an advantage.

Candidates would need to be prepared to relocate within the UK.

Please send your CVs and links to portfolio work (don’t attach games to your mails!) to: delphigameprogrammer@hotmail.co.uk

Full details would be revealed to potential candidates…

Regards,

savage
16-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums.
I think you will need to post more details of exactly what sort of work this Delphi developer will be doing. At the moment, as great as it is to see a Delphi Game developer job advert on these forums, it all seems very vague.

FNX
16-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Nice to see a job advert on this forum :)

What about adding a section to the forums to post adverts like this?
I hope it will be the first of a longer list!

About the post, it would be nice to have a bit more detail before applying...

Legolas
16-04-2007, 10:15 AM
All seems vague to me too, including the email reference (hotmail.co.uk). I guess that a big SH should give an internal mail box, like jobATverybigsoftwarehouse.com, to their recruiting office :think:

vgo
16-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Nice scam! :)

Sly
16-04-2007, 01:07 PM
If you are legitimate, DelphiJob, post a real email address.

DelphiJob
16-04-2007, 02:29 PM
LOL - I suppose I should have expected this. I apologise for the anonymity at this stage, but I am happy to discuss details with prospective applicants from a 'real' email address if they reply to the hotmail one with links to demos/CVs (even if it’s an old CV at this stage). Naturally, you don't have to decide to 'officially' apply until you know more about the job...

The post is most likely to be a permanent full-time position, with a salary depending on experience. If you're a Delphi professional with a passion for making games in your spare time then you could be just what we need...

Look forward to hearing from you,

JernejL
16-04-2007, 05:19 PM
I've contacted him got a reply from real address, and their website url, i can say that it seems very legitimate now, and the company did deliver some good games, i might even send a CV of my own :)

savage
16-04-2007, 05:46 PM
The poster does appear to be genuine. I called their office today, but they were closed. I am hoping to speak with him tomorrow.

WILL
16-04-2007, 06:26 PM
If only I were still unemployed. :D

NecroDOME
16-04-2007, 08:04 PM
You can change jobs :P

savage
17-04-2007, 09:56 PM
I forgot to mention that this company has been around since the 80s in various forms and has recently ( in the last few years ) released games on PC, PS2, XBox, PSP and is currently working on a Next Gen title.

JSoftware
18-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Is there any rational explaination why the name of the company isn't enclosed? Maybe because of a professional job agent service?

I surprised that professional game development is actually done in Delphi these days. Could be a great opportunity for some of you Brits :P

savage
18-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Is there any rational explaination why the name of the company isn't enclosed? Maybe because of a professional job agent service?

This job advert it not through an agency. Your CV goes directly to the game company after the initial exchange via the hotmail address. My best guess would be that they don't want to be inundated from the agencies you mention. By going directly to the developers they avoid having to pay agency charges for placement of a candidate. In theory this should also mean that they can offer you a little bit more money.

I surprised that professional game development is actually done in Delphi these days.

Come on JSoftware, why can't they use Delphi for professional game dev?
Commercial Delphi games have been released in the past and been successful. Hero X is still available on the Atari website, Age of Wonders spawned a sequel and the game company in question is still around ( Triumph Studios ).

This is the sort of attitude that pervades the game industry.
Just because the standard is C/C++ does not mean that other languages can't or shouldn't be used for professional game dev. Use whatever development language you are most productive with.

DelphiJob
12-09-2007, 03:53 PM
It may interest you to know that one of your members is now employed by us here at Sumo and another is working as a contractor as a result of this thread! Therefpre seeing as this appeal was so successful last time - I'll try again. This time I can be a little more open about the position, but I should stress that we are primarily looking for a C++ programmer. Delphi is, however, an advantage.

Please send CVs to the address on the website.

-----

Part of the Foundation 9 Entertainment group, Sumo Digital Ltd is an independent game development studio based in Sheffield, UK. Sumo is licensed to develop on all the leading gaming platforms; Sony PSP, PS2 and PS3, Microsoft Xbox 360, Xbox and Nintendo Wii and DS.

An opportunity now exists for a strong C++ programmer with DirectX experience, working on an unusual and exciting project within the company.

See the careers page on our company website for more details.

http://www.sumo-digital.com/career/default.asp

Jacob Habgood
Sumo-Digital Limited

pstudio
12-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Jacob Habgood
Jacab Habgood as in the co author of 'The Game Maker's Apprentice'?

savage
12-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Yes he is.

pstudio
12-09-2007, 05:30 PM
cool