PDA

View Full Version : Good 2D Pascal (FPC) Engine

DarknessX
17-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Hey guys. I'm looking into switching to graphics for my game now, and I want to know, whats a good engine for 2D graphics? Would be good if some documentation came with it, just throw the ideas at me and I'll pick through them...

Note: I don't care what features it has, or even if it's still in production- as long as its not a problem to update it to fix the problems, and is atleast usable with not too many bugs.

Also, one more question..

How difficult is it to write your own 2D engine? I'm making an RPG game, MagicRPG, and it's not easy... Text-Based is hard enough; but text just doesn't cut it anymore. I need atleast minimal graphics, but I'm wanting to fully make it graphical now. 2D, like already said, and in Pascal. It hopefully won't be OOP, because a) I'm not coding in OOP, and b) I don't really understand OOP.

Thanks for all the help and input in advance, cause I'm gonna need it :P
(NOTE: I would prefer the first question to be answered over the second)

savage
18-04-2007, 07:24 AM
I think it would be wise to take this time between projects to understand OOP. Your games and other projects will benefit from it in the long run.

godbeast
18-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Besides, it'll be hard to find such engine or even library that doesn't require OOP knowlegde. There is one however, it's called VGFX (http://www.venomsoftware.de/various.htm). Win32 version isn't developed. There is a compiler directive wihtin the code that should allow you to use it in FPC 2.x, it worked under 2.0.0 for me. This directive also means that you can't benefit from Freepascal new features... You better do as savage says, object pascal is really easy, and when you learn enough you can try Jedi-SDL or Phoenix and write an outstading 2d crossplatform RPG game with fxs, ogg sound etc. :D

dmantione
18-04-2007, 12:50 PM
{$calling oldfpccall} does not prevent you from using new features. In fact, FPC is really good at combining old and new code.

DarknessX
18-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Theres really no time between projects, as I'm still working on the game. However, my problem, is that if I switch my game to OOP, it will be more than tons of work- I basically will have to rewrite the entire 5500 lines, to restructure it.

Not fun.

I've looked at OOP too, but I cannot understand it very well... I really can't understand tutorials, because I simply cannot learn without the questions I have being answered. As an example...

It took me nearly a year to learn Pascal using Turbo Pascal... A year to learn how to write to screen and I still couldn't properly read from a file. I could barely write to a file... And I had no clue as to structuring of programs. Still don't. This is my first programming language, after all.

Now, if someone is willing to atleast teach me the basics, over like MSN or IRC, I would be very pleased, because I could then learn OOP much much easier, and quicker...

So you see, if I take the time between projects to learn OOP, it will be at minimum 2 months before I can even write a simple OOP program... I expected within 2 months to be working on the project again, and have it in the process of switching to graphics.

So indeed, unless someone teaches me OOP, it's out of the question for now...

Can VGFX make NEW graphics, and not look like DOS? Because if it looks like DOS, there is no point in using it- I might as well stick with text.

savage
19-04-2007, 08:50 AM
If you are looking for a cross-platform solution that definitely works on Win32 and Linux and should also work on MacOS X, you should look at cairnswm project S2DL ( http://thegamedeveloper.co.za/?page_id=61 ).