PDA

View Full Version : How about a showcase?

jdarling
20-04-2007, 01:34 PM
The past few weeks I've spent time on GGE, GameDev, and PixelJoint to discover that one of my favorite features are the showcases that they contain. Its a bit more like years then weeks, but its become more noticeable in the past weeks. So, I was thinking, PGD should have some sort of showcase where we can upload or link screen shots and information about the games we are working on and the ones we have produced. People coming to the site see the title, but then find few links to games unless they search the posts.

I think that if we put a games link at the top and then have a method to drill down (via categories and key words) it would be very useful. I know I'd post up what I've done here to get a bit more attention to it. We already have a good starting point on categories; genera list from this years compo, scriptable or not, moddable or not, engine and/or game.

Hmm... I forgot to add no to the options, now I can't edit it. Take Doubt it as no.

savage
20-04-2007, 02:34 PM
I have updated your post and removed Doubt it.

Btw, there has been talk about making www.DelphiGamer.com a showcase site.

tanffn
20-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Whats the point in a “maybe” answer, what kind of information will it give you?

jdarling
20-04-2007, 02:42 PM
If DelphiGamer did become a showcase it would still be nice to have it in the menubar across the top. That way the link between the two make sense. And the DelphiGamer site should have a link in its menu with Forums that comes back over to PGD. At least thats my opinion. Thanks for fixing my goof :)

PS: If you do decide to go that route with DG let me know. I would be happy to provide my services for free in the realm of UXP (User experience) and build research.

savage
20-04-2007, 02:49 PM
[quote="jdarling"]If DelphiGamer did become a showcase it would still be nice to have it in the menubar across the top. That way the ]

Yes that would be the plan.

FNX
20-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I have a new small game coming next week to show so my answer is "Definately!"

If i remember well i've asked it some time ago, or maybe i thought to
ask on the forum and i didn't... Anyway, great idea, i hope it will see the
light soon!

WILL
20-04-2007, 04:02 PM
If DelphiGamer became a showcases site, wouldn't be a bad use of the domain, then it could really only be able to legitimately put up games made with Delphi. (Though I guess Delphi for PHP games might count too...)

And all encompassing showcase could be made on PGD, but it would need a designer and/or maintainer as a minimum.

cragwolf
21-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Yes, this is one of the things I like about gamedev.net. A link to the showcase should be visible on the front page of PGD, with a thumbnail of the most recent (or popular) screenshot being visible there, too. Just look at how gamedev does it, I think it's pretty neat (and simple).

technomage
21-04-2007, 08:04 AM
I have been working on a plan for Delphigamer.com. And a Showcase is the main theme. I'm knocking up some designs at the moment.

I don't think it would only be limited to delphi games, most free pscal game can be compiled under Delphi afterall.

Here is an example of the concept I'm working on.

http://www.infinitespace-online.net/DG/index.html

The Image under the DG logo will probably change to be a collection of images from the games posted. (Aircraft, Tanks etc).

You get the rough idea though.

I was also planning to offer limited hosting for anyone registered here for a small fee, to help pay for the hosting of the main site.

Subdomains would be avaialble e.g

airblast.delphigamer.com
iron-strike.delphigamer.com
technomage.delphigamer.com

But I could also host a limited number of actual domains as well. I haven't worked out prices yet, but it would not be that expensive (1-3 pounds a month depending on disk space required etc.)

Dom and i had also discussed selling some of the games hosted though the showcase. To help the people writting them make some cash.

Comments?

BTW - I got the template from http://www.freewebsitetemplates.com.

savage
21-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi Dean
I really like the look of the site. Simple yet effective.

Traveler
21-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi Dean
I really like the look of the site. Simple yet effective.

Same here. It looks great :thumbup:
I'd only go for a slightly bigger and darker font and more anti-aliased buttons at the top.

technomage
22-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys,

I mae a few modifications yesterday, I increased the width of the test site to 800px and re did the content so it formats correctly. I also used a larger font and darkened the text.

The buttons along the top are just normal text, so I can't change those unless I render my own buttons.

http://www.infinitespace-online.net/DG/index.html

WILL
22-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Hey not bad Dean. :)

It does have that magazine flair that the original DelphiGamer was going for before. Something that you might want to do upon launch is indicate it as 'The NEW DelphiGamer' so people will understand that it's the launching of a new concept and not necessarily the new version of this site. :)

I guess some people still think that PGD is DelphiGamer. Well ok, maybe in part. ;)

Looks great so far though, hows the game profile page going to look?

marmin
22-04-2007, 06:45 PM
If I had some finished games, sure!

Joshas
23-04-2007, 10:05 AM
In my humble opinion the screenshots should be bigger, something like in Gamedev.net Image of the Day page or Opera's Speed Dial. The sidebar with image is unnecessary.

Traveler
23-04-2007, 10:39 AM
I assume the game images are clickable, or at the very least the <more> link will continue to a page with larger images.

The image on the right isn't really necessary I agree, but it does add to the general feeling of the layout.

jdarling
23-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Dean, how much thought have you put into what is going to actually be available to the users. I started working ideas on "paper" over the weekend and found that the data needs may be a problem depending on hosting overhead. Also, the purchasable plans will need advantages that make people (developers) want to sign up for them to help with these costs.

The design is quite nice and simple, but I think will need work with the menu and navigation. After all, you don't want to alienate any user from the site. While top/left primary nav is a standard I think it could be done better with top primary and right gutter as the advertisement/current events modules. The image on the left just grabs out too much attention and places a thought of 3D games into your head.

As I said before, if you (meaning who ever is driving this) is interested, I'd be happy to put together a discovery document, user experience practices, and a development document around the site. As well as do the appropriate research for payment integration and costs. I only do this day in and day out, so its not like I'd be doing something I've never done before :).

Oh, and the Maybe option was put in place because some people might think they may use the site, but don't know as they haven't completed a game that could be placed up yet.

technomage
23-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Hi guys

Thanks for thefeedback. The image on the left, it the origional artwork, I mentioned in my first post that it would be replaced with something else, but in keeping with the general design (any of you budding artists want to PM me some designs ?? Try and keep the same image dimensions, and the DG logo itself).

The DelphiGamer site will just provide demo's / freeware games for people to download. I am working on the hosting package at the moment with my hosting company who have given me very good service over the years. Once I get am idea on how much Bandwidth and diskspace I have to play with I'll post some proposed pricing options for people wanting to use delphigamer as a host to help pay the hosting costs, plus extra bandwidth. I'm busy talking over some of the finer details with Dom at the moment so I'll post the details when we are done.

If you don't mind offering your services that would be great, but don't spend too much of your spare time on it. :D

IlovePascal
24-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Isn't the correct spelling 'definitely' (instead of 'definately' in the poll)? And I also noticed that when you write a certain number of posts, you become 'Kilobyte Conquror', shouldn't it be 'Conqueror'?
I didnt bother lookin it up, and since this is only my third language, i myt be wrong, but i thought id mention

savage
24-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Isn't the correct spelling 'definitely' (instead of 'definately' in the poll)?

Definitely fixed.

And I also noticed that when you write a certain number of posts, you become 'Kilobyte Conquror', shouldn't it be 'Conqueror'?
I didnt bother lookin it up, and since this is only my third language, i myt be wrong, but i thought id mention

Also fixed.

jdarling
24-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Isn't the correct spelling 'definitely' (instead of 'definately' in the poll)? And I also noticed that when you write a certain number of posts, you become 'Kilobyte Conquror', shouldn't it be 'Conqueror'?

Hey, I'm no English major :). Seriously, if FF doesn't catch it I don't catch it most of the time. My job is focused more around the details then the actual grammatical properness :). Thanks for the catch though, and thanks for the fix Savage.

IlovePascal
25-04-2007, 01:09 AM
Hey, I'm no English major :). Seriously, if FF doesn't catch it I don't catch it most of the time. My job is focused more around the details then the actual grammatical properness :). Thanks for the catch though, and thanks for the fix Savage.

No problem! That's what the community is for: Helping each other! :wink: