PDA

View Full Version : S2DL Help {lazarus} [not solved... :@]

DarknessX
22-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Ok, well, I'm trying to get S2DL setup, but I've run into problems...

I followed the Installing JEDI-SDL.txt page step by step... Even extracted all the files into the same folders! (C:\CairnsGames and C:\Lazarus)

Now, I put the DLL files into C:\Windows\System32\ from the S2DL binaries folder, and copied and pasted the directories the files are in...

Yet, it can't find the S2DLDraws unit. So, I go into compiler options, and set Libraries {-FI} to S2DLv1-10\binaries\ and it finds S2DLDraws, but not the sdl unit... Which is a .dll file, sdl.dll. It's not JUST in the system32 directory, it's also in the folder in which the file is SUPPOSED to compile in...

WHAT am I doing wrong!? This is very frustrating; everything seems to be properly done. I have even dropped the sources folder into the Units folder in my lazarus install, have dropped the .dll's into it, and it STILL doesn't work!!!!

EDIT:

Well, I used WILL's way to install Jedi-SDL, and with some minor changes, got it all working and compiled the very first program, HelloWorld :P

BUT then I changed the project to another, loaded the file with all the presets, and voila, it stopped working :@ grrrr....

Ok, so I'm back to the same problem as before...
I have to put the unit files (from the Source folder in S2DL) into the same folder as my EXE or it won't work, cause it can't find s2dldraws.

WILL
22-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Be sure you reenter the paths to all the used units for each new project. It's kind of a pain in the butt, but for whatever reason it's how they designed Lazarus to work.

DarknessX
22-04-2007, 08:48 PM
I did a 'save to file' and then a 'load from file' when I switched to a new project...

So I BASICALLY did re-enter the information... Personally, I have no clue how to use JEDI/S2DL/SDL.... I don't even know where to start.

WILL
22-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Well if you look in the Articles section. My first tutorial covers how to set things up for the game I am walking through in my series.

If you look at the source (it's a Lazarus project) you'll see that it's a basic setup of a JEDI-SDL based game.

cairnswm
24-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Sorry havn't been around much lately.

I see you are using S2DLV1-10 - thats very old and you should be using S2DL ver 2 instead. The download of S2DL ver 2 includes an article on getting it set up.

the easiest way to get the compiler to see all the required units is to put them into your project directory. Later when you understand how everything fits together you can move them back to the S2DL folder. I also include all the dlls into the same project directory so that I dont have the problems of not finding DLLs. (Windows looks in the application directory first, before looking in the windows\system32 folder)

DarknessX
25-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Ok, thanks Cairn. I didn't realize it was an old version; something led me to download it over the new version which I had no clue existed :D Hopefully this means there is a better tutorial, for I couldn't really understand it very well.