PDA

View Full Version : Featured Book...

savage
23-04-2007, 02:16 PM
As Amazon are about to start charging me for NOT using their associate program, I thought I would put up a quick Featured Book block on the home page ( just under polls ). On DG we used to have a Books section that people could buy and review and all money made went into paying for the hosting service. Would this sort of thing be better here or on the DG showcase site?

Traveler
23-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I do not think we should divide functions between PGD and DG. (You could even argue that a showcase section actually belongs here on PGD).
My vote goes to a book section here on PGD. In fact, iirc there are already menu images available for a book section.

WILL
23-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Um... I didn't know that we were splitting up the PGD site. :scratch: When did this happen?

Honestly though, if we are going to make a feature for this site it should be on this site. The Amazon.com review section was a planned feature for early PGD. I can't see a reason why we cannot finish that and include it in PGD.

In fact the 'books' table should still be in the site's database if I'm not mistaken... just needs to be used/accessed by scripts.

technomage
23-04-2007, 06:52 PM
I just want to reasure everyone that the new delphigamer.com site is NOT a community site or a news site or anything else that covers what PGD does. It is simply going to be a nice flashy site which will present the best that the Pascal Game development community has to offer to show those C++ boys we can do good stuff too :D.

Our (Mine and Dom's) origional vision for the site all those years ago was a kind of online PG Gamer magazine site for games written in delphi. I think we have enough good people here and enough good games to make such a site viable.

I agree the book stuff will fit into the PGD site much better as it is focusing on how to write the games, DG will be focusing on games that have been written.

WILL
23-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Well I've always thought that DelphiGamer would make a good publication or such. It's good to see it being reborn into a showcase site. (My issues with the misused term 'Delphi' aside. I mean there is another non-Pascal tool named Delphi now...) I hope it catches some eyes. :)

I think one of the things missing from the community at large is such a showcase site. Somehow this is one of those things that has 'slipped to the side' in all our efforts to promote the language. So now that something is underway, I truly hope it turns out to be successful.

Actually in terms of advertising, I'd recommend the DG2 has it's own means to cover costs as well. I mean, we're not all trying to rid ourselves of the great money plague now are we? ;)