PDA

View Full Version : My new isometric RPG/adventure thing...

Crisp_N_Dry
07-05-2003, 09:12 AM
My new game is an isometric adventure I suppose. I am still considering whether to add rpg elements (level ups, skills, etc). I have started the engine which has mouse/tile detection working (it took me ages to do this because isometric is so much more harder than standard 2d tiling when it comes to this sort of thing. Plus you have to account for the where abouts the scene is from the top left corner of the map so it makes things even more comlicated, and I wanted to work it out for myself, anyway, I got there in the end). I am now working on the object creator and the sprite creator and the map editor. I have the sprite editor basically done and the object editor almost ready now I need to focus on the map editor. I also need to work on map rotation (like The Sims). If you wanna know how it looks you'll have to use your imagination. Think Habbo Hotel but with a large multi-map New York style city. With interiors for all buildings. If you saw the cover of the Edge magazine special called Retro, then you'll know the look i'm aiming for. Characters are made up of a different sprite for each item of clothing so infinite combinations are possible. The main focus of the game is about living in a city and going about your business a la The Sims and Animal Crossing, but you will need to invent things in order to progress. Plus sub quests. I hopefully will have a website up and running but I can barely find the time to work on the game let alone a website aswell, I have a fulltime job which takes up like 12-13 hours a day. If anyone has any space I can post some screenshots in the meantime then I will be greatly appreciative.

tronied
07-05-2003, 09:27 AM
Hi

Your project sounds great... I started something similar to that myself using an isometic perspective but never got any further than a visible grid as I found no tilesets I could use for what I wanted. Make sure you keep everyone updated...

Crisp_N_Dry
07-05-2003, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I am doing my own artwork 'cause of the specific style i'm aiming for. I'd prefer to use my own anyways. Hopefully have some artwork to show soon. Watch this space.

fitzbean
08-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Crisp, pvt message me, I can help with the web thing.

Alimonster
12-05-2003, 08:57 PM
/me claps at Crisp_N_Dry because of his original, non-violent and quite-possibly-interesting game idea. Maybe Doom 3 won't lead in the industry down the "sucking ass as games" route if people like you still exist. Here's hoping...

Crisp_N_Dry
13-05-2003, 07:30 PM
I'm glad you like the sound of it. It's nice to get a little praise now and again. It gives me more motivation to get this one finished. I have a problem with finishing games but I am trying a different approach with this one (slow and steady) which just might be the key.

Gadget
26-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Sounds excellent :) I am coding a similar type of game myself, but going for the MMORPG market. The biggest problem is graphics :P

Maybe we could share some code / ideas? Post a link to your site!

Heres an image of my client in action:- (much improved since, just not had time to upload a newer image)

http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.r.millward/client006.jpg

Crisp_N_Dry
28-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Cool "Rise of The Robots" style character. A mmorpg heh, I get scared by multiplayer code. I would be interested in sharing some ideas some time. Pm me with anything you wish to share. I am doing all of my own graphics. This shouldn't be too difficult because the game has a simple look to it (Habbo Hotel) which relies on lots of angular shapes that fit the isometric profile so it will be the colouring in (i can't believe I said colouring in, how old am I, five?) that will be the biggest part to the graphics problem.

Crisp_N_Dry
28-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Due to a major hard drive crash last week, I have lost everything from my isometric RPG project. Damn you faulty hard drive, DAMN YOU. That's like, five months work down the digital toilet. Has anyone out there gone through the same thing? Maybe we could set up a support group... Still, every cloud and all that. The silver lining would be, I have now committed myself to learning to use the JEDI DirectX headers instead of DelphiX which I was using before. I was a little put off DelphiX due to the slow alpha-blending. Is this just a DelphiX problem or something more. Anyone gotta clue?

WILL
29-06-2003, 05:18 AM
The short answer is yes. A very shortened, much longer and not so complete answer is that it's the fact that DelphiX uses only DirectDraw for 2D, instead of Direct3D that takes care of rotations alpha blending and resizing via hardware. DelphiX uses only system memory and software rendering so it's not very fast.

A much better choice for fast 2D would be either:
XCESS,
PowerDraw,
Omega or
use the JEDI headers themselves.

Sorry to hear abou your HDD Crash. Those suck. :/

Karaman
30-06-2003, 06:25 AM
You can use DelphiX with JEDI Headers for 2D
It is faster than simple DirectX
I get 100fps always on my 850Mhz AMD no matter how many tiles I use
if they are larger than 30x30

Alimonster
30-06-2003, 09:15 AM
I feel for you dude -- I had to get a new hard disc only a few days ago. Still, you'll be surprised at how quickly the code will come back to you. You know all the mistakes you made before and how to solve them now - right? ;)

Anyways, DDraw will always have slowish alpha blending because it's done in software rather than hardware. If you use D3D instead then your blending will be much quicker (older machines won't thank you for it, but new machines will). Perhaps take a look at Project Omega, GameVision, Powerdraw, xcess gdk (does that use d3d?) or one of the other libraries that use d3d (too many these days - I'm losing track of 'em all!).