PDA

View Full Version : 2007 PGD Annual: Stage 4 Results Posted

WILL
07-05-2007, 05:18 AM
The scores for stage 4 have been posted: Results Page (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/competitions.php?p=results&c=3)

1 week left for stage 5!

Traveler
07-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks for posting!

I wonder though how its possible that no points (except from Clootie) have been awarded for the menu. There's been a menu in my entry since the second stage. :?

jdarling
07-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks for posting!

I wonder though how its possible that no points (except from Clootie) have been awarded for the menu. There's been a menu in my entry since the second stage. :?

Traveler, does your menu system fulfill the requirements of letting you check high scores, start a new game and exit?

Traveler
07-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Start & end game yes, scores no. But unless I misunderstand the required goals, having a highscore section is only needed when goal 2 is also completed, which isn't in my case (unfortunately).

Have a basic menu system that allows you to start a new game, check high scores (if Goal 2 was completed) and exit (only for PC platforms!)

pstudio
07-05-2007, 07:10 PM
I agree with Traveler and I scored 20 of 30 points for my menu and I don't have a high score table.
It seems to me the scores are a bit inconsistent. :)

jasonf
08-05-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm not entirly happy that the high score part was even in the rules as it's forcing elements into the game design, I'd never really planned on putting a high score table into the game as they really don't interest me.. in fact, I feel that sometimes they're bloody annoying, I want to start a new game and I've got to fill my name in for the high score table. It's an extra step, a small point, but I think it's valid.

I've lost quite a few marks on this (what I believe to be a tiny feature) and the rest of the menu mechanics are there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, Rules are rules, but I would have preferred if the high score table thing was an optional bonus at the end, not a mandatory component of the menu system because in my opinion, it's certainly not important to the enjoyment of the game. That's what the game mechanics are for.

I am kindof kicking myself as it would have only taken me an hour or so to implement.

Clootie
08-05-2007, 07:34 PM
"High scores" are giving you only 5 points, isn't it?

AthenaOfDelphi
08-05-2007, 08:44 PM
I have just re-evaluated my scores and comments taking into account the Stage 4 - Goal 3 wording that you guys have been working to and am pleased to say that everyone scored the points for having a menu.

The situation arose simply because of the wording we have next to the score entry fields. For stage 4, goal 3, it reads...

Have a basic menu system that allows you to start a new game, check high scores and exit.

According to that, I was right not to award points to those who originally didn't score for goal 3. But based on the wording you guys have been working to, you all scored.

Its nothing more than a simple miscommunication.

jasonf
08-05-2007, 08:45 PM
No Clootie, 10 points per judge as I understand it for having a Menu and High Score.

I understand the Judge's scoring, it's just a little frustrating as it's the 1st stage where I've not covered everything. My bad really.
Like I said, I'm not complaining.. it'll teach me not to be cocky eh? :wink:

Clootie
09-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Stage 4 (5 weeks): Complete Your Game Concept (Mar 25th - Apr 28th)

Goal 1: Explain clearly in your included Readme.txt how you have completed your gameplay concept and how all elements of the genres come together. -- 15 Points
Goal 2: Add a scoring system of some kind. Score does not have to be a number. -- 5 Points
Goal 3: Have a basic menu system that allows you to start a new game, check high scores (if Goal 2 was completed) and exit (only for PC platforms!) -- 10 Points
It's always nice to study system and workaround it when necessary. According to wording: scoring system is just 5 points and requires menu system to be implemented (which is 10 points by itself!) 8)

FedeX
09-05-2007, 04:51 AM
What a pity... Session and examinations began. And to time for my game remained very little. Interestingly: it is a lot of the participants - students?
If it is a lot of, it would be not bad if the next year the competition begun on summer vacations... :wink:

Traveler
09-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Nah, I do not think there are a lot of students participating, at least not more than usual.

jasonf
14-05-2007, 02:18 PM
I just want to rally people, call to arms etc...

I missed the competition last year so I don't know how it was towards the end, but we're in Stage 6 land now and it's still all to play for as far as I know. I played the games though and they were all pretty cool.

Last year there were 15 final entries, I know some people have had to pull out for very good reasons and for them I'm truly sorry 'cos I know what it must have meant for them, but come on peeps, 5 entries for stage 5?... that's half as many as last year... pull yer finger out!

:arrow: There are still 120pts to be gained for stage 6 plus bonuses
:arrow: 15 pts per platform supported
:arrow: 15 pts per genres over 2
:!: then a whopping possible 3600 points for the final judging..

Come on people, get coding, dust off your project, get out the spit & polish, it's still all to play for..

I'll be putting in some late hours to get ready, 'cos I want to win, but I also want to play great Pascal games.

Hail Sparta!!
8)

Traveler
14-05-2007, 10:57 PM
I hear you...

Thing is, there's a part of me that wants to quit, really. And there's at least half a dozen reasons for it, too.
But then, there's also a part of me that says I should continue.

:(

jasonf
14-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Traveller mate, you can't quit now..not after everything that's happened to you..

You have to continue in spite of adversity and pain. Continuing will make it all worth while.

You'll feel better about it, I promise. You'll finish the competition, sit back with a nice cold beer and say "Thank F#%K for that!" :lol:

Anyway, I want to play your game.

Traveler
15-05-2007, 08:21 AM
I hope you don't mind me quoting you. I probably need to reread that a couple more times these coming weeks :)

So who else is struggling and in need of some encouragement?

jasonf
15-05-2007, 09:16 AM
HEHEHE, no probs mate.

I think I'll be re-reading it too.