PDA

View Full Version : Direct3D 10 headers - compiler support

Clootie
16-05-2007, 07:10 PM
I need to make a decision on which Delphi versions to support in Direct3D10 headers. So, please vote for lowest version of Delphi you need to use.

PS. The only other compiler I plan to support in Direct3D10 headers is FreePascal 2.0.4.

WILL
16-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey! FPC is not on there! :P

EDIT: Just read your PS. :) Does that mean that you will be supporting whichever version of FPC is current?

Clootie
16-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Right now FPC 2.0.4 is pretty stable and feature rich. For example, when I started porting D3D9 samples to FPC I've met various problems main of which was lack of WideChar support, so I was forced to implement some support for them in FPC RTL and compiler 8).

While FPC 2.0.4 has small issues I've met - most user still prefer to use stable releases (even when some issues are fixed in experimental ones) - that means 2.0.4 is the version which I'm going to support fully.

PS. Btw, while I have not mentioned this explicitly here - alpha version of D3D10 headers with some tutorials already available for download at www.clootie.ru 8)

jdarling
17-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Hey Clootie, great to hear that your updating your headers. I marked D6 as its the last version I purchased even though I don't use Delphi any more. Glad to hear that your still supporting the FPC/Laz world with the new version.

WILL
17-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Oh, quick question; Will to keep support for your DirectX9 headers? Some people will not want to switch over to Vista yet (or at all in my case) so it might be of some use to keep the DX9 headers prominent on your site.

While I'm at it, if anyone is going to make a nextgen game using DX10 is there any point in tying it back to Delphi 7? I've read that you can hack at the installation to get it working, but considering that Delphi 2007 is the one that fully supports Vista, it would seem a bit more logical to go from there up.

Clootie
17-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Basically I'm trying to stick Pascal versions close to MS official releases for C/C++. Current plan is to have one 'DX SDK' that will include D3D9/D3DX9/D3D10/D3DX10/DDraw(?)/DInput/DSound(?)/XACT/XAudio/XInput.

And I will still host 'old' DirectX9 SDK, but not sure how often I will be updating it. As there will be no updates to sample code anymore, only fixes to headers (if any will be found), so probably I'will be updating headers on SourceForge CVS, and make file/package releases at some points. I've did something similar for December06/Feb07 SDK releases - there are updates on CVS, but I have not posted anything on site till April-07 SDK release.

WILL
17-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Well so long as there is a (pre-Vista) DirectX9 option that does not include DirectX10 still, I can't see any major issues.

I'm sure at some point that MicroSoft will eventually dump DX9 altogether. But until that happens it'll be good to have their latest updates translated for the XP die-hards. :)

I'm partial to OpenGL myself, so everyone can laugh at me being specific if they so choose, but I'm just thinking of how it would best suit the broader audience. And how I've seen issues in the past with such things.

Either way, "Clootie is da (DX) man!" ;)

marcov
18-05-2007, 05:26 AM
While FPC 2.0.4 has small issues I've met - most user still prefer to use stable releases (even when some issues are fixed in experimental ones) - that means 2.0.4 is the version which I'm going to support fully.

Just fyi: FPC is already sampling a new major release series. This weekend probably the first beta will be uploaded, with the full release still several weeks (if not months) away.

P.s. are you willing to entertain the idea to dual-license LGPL-MPL your offerings ? Not only the DirectX, but also the Open Office bridge?

Clootie
18-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Nice to know about next major release of FPC is coming.

Hmm, what's the value for me/other to add second licence for LGPL? Consider what pascal DX SDK is already a derivative work as it's based on MS [copyrighted] headers.

Clootie
18-05-2007, 11:26 AM
While I'm at it, if anyone is going to make a nextgen game using DX10 is there any point in tying it back to Delphi 7?

Main reason: SDK will contain headers for previous versions of D3D and many other parts of SDK are XP compatible, olny D3D10 is requires Vista.