PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon

DarknessX
18-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Is pokemon (like Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow) for gameboy 2D? I'm fairly sure it is, but I just wanted to check. In the case that it is, what 2D graphics engine would allow for me to make a game like that?

pstudio
18-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Is pokemon (like Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow) for gameboy 2D?
Yes it is

In the case that it is, what 2D graphics engine would allow for me to make a game like that?
Basically any library listed under the 'Game Libraries and Components' could do the work. Beginners normally uses (Un)DelphiX, but I would recommend either Asphyre or Phoenix.

WILL
18-05-2007, 09:58 PM
I believe there was at least 2 Pokemon games for the original GB (probably the longest lasting 'in-market' console in the history of video gaming consoles, btw) maybe 3. My kid sister had a long time ago one so stop heckling me already. :lol:

Another very good option for 2D is the JEDI-SDL library. It's like (Un)DelphiX, but for cross-platform. Handles game input, timers, graphics, sound, music, etc...

If you get more advanced and eventually want to use the 3D hardware features to speed up your rotation/scale/alpha effects you can switch over to OpenGL easily with your existing code-base as it's supported by SDL it's self. You'd only need to change your graphics code and nothing else.

DarknessX
18-05-2007, 10:29 PM
OK, Thanks. That's what I needed to know. I'm gonna go with Jedi-SDL. Now I just have to find some good Pascal OOP tutorials.